Gas Flow Calculation

E

Ebrahim

Dear All,

I have found several different equations for Gas flow calculation through control valves, in terms of pressure, temp., valve coefficient(Cv), etc.

Now I have 2 questions:
1-What is the effect of valve opening on these equations.

2-What is the effect of valve characteristic(Linear, Equal percentage, Quick opening) on these equations?

Regards

D
1)No effect

2)No effect

To select a control valve you first run a calculation with the process data you have been given. This will give you the required CV at those conditions.

Next you select a control valve which has a CV equal to or greater than the calculated value. It is normal to say that your calculated CV will be equal to your selected control valve CV at say 70% opening to allow for some variation.

Also when you select the control valve you make a choice of which valve characteristic you need based upon the application where it is to be used.

David Todd,

Thanks.

I have the Cv of valve. So I don't want to select a valve. I just want to calculate the flow passing through the valve by knowing differential pressure, temp, Cv and valve opening (in percentage).

I don't see your problem. Just use the same formula that you have used to calculate the cv and just manupulate the formula to get the flow based on the various conditions.