GE CIMPLICITY on Windows 10

Interesting question. I have always tried running later version on Windows XP or Windows 7. but never tried running 8.2 on Win10. If it installs, you should be good. I would imagine it is possible. However, I think you can upgrade to Cimplicity 9.0 or 9.5 at a very cheap price. I would recommend going that course of action if this is going to be used in an industrial place.

Interesting question. I have always tried running later version on Windows XP or Windows 7. but never tried running 8.2 on Win10. If it installs, you should be good. I would imagine it is possible. However, I think you can upgrade to Cimplicity 9.0 or 9.5 at a very cheap price. I would recommend going that course of action if this is going to be used in an industrial place.
It is currently installed in a power plant, GE wants 150k to upgrade. I told them to go pound sand I will pay ABB to build out the rest of controls in our BOP before I pay GE 150k for 3 machines!

YIKES! Well, it is possible to be that high. It depends on how complex the HMI is and what kind of software you have on there. My general rule of thumb is ~$25K per HMI (not including services). However, if you are trying to keep mostly the same versions of software, it should not be too tough to move everything to Windows 10. Again, it may be cheap to reach out to GE and just get the price of updating the Cimplicity 8.2 to Cimplicity 9.0.

sorry...I wanted to clarify that last statement. I meant: "it may be cheap to reach out to GE and just get the price of updating the Cimplicity 8.2 to Cimplicity 9.0 FOR THE LICENSING ONLY" the rest you would do by yourself.

sorry...I wanted to clarify that last statement. I meant: "it may be cheap to reach out to GE and just get the price of updating the Cimplicity 8.2 to Cimplicity 9.0 FOR THE LICENSING ONLY" the rest you would do by yourself.
Well I just contacted GE Digital to move our licenses over to us as they were listed under foxguard the company GE buys their HMIs from.. But GE Power does not give us the option to just do the software that in it self is normal GE BS.. I would rather not upgrade the whole package, We are simply needing to move to windows 10 for NERC requirements.. Once I have control of our assets I will ask GE Digital what a upgrade would cost..

As far as the system goes it should be simple as we use OPC for all communication from the HMI to the Woodward. Its just a crap load of tags and some graphics no way in gods creation it should cost even 25k per HMI. Before I bite on that price I will disconnect the GE remote monitoring as that is what makes us need to upgrade the system and just let it sit as a control network that is alienated from the world until we get a bit further down the road with OPC UA then upgrade to something open. Its not like we are asking them or any one else to engineer a complete new system, no way each machine should cost that much!! All you have to do is make one set of screens then copy them to three machines all the tags you need is already noted in the current page sets.

I look at it like this If we were to pay even 25k per machine that's 75k total.. If we break that cost down lets say that is 3k for 3 computers I have found Emerson Cimplicity 10 for sale online starting at 500 for each key so now we are at $4500 with computers and keys... So that is 70k in labor that is absurd for something that is going to take a few weeks at most to complete!! Think about it like this that works out to like $875 per hour at the price you mentioned and $1,750 per hour at the price GE wants just to build HMI screens man that's more than hookers and lawyers make combined! I wish I could make money like that it would be nice to work 1 month out the year, I mean the way the they sell you half cycle products all you need is 5 clients and rake them over the coals for 70k every time microsoft EOLs an OS you could work 1 year every 5 years.

I am sorry for the bad news. As I said before, $25K per HMI was an estimate. This depends on what other software is on there. From your comments above, it sounds like you don't have any ControlST on the HMI. That takes off a good amount. A majority of the costs is in the software licenses.

If you provide more details here, I can you evaluate things you need to look at for the upgrade.