GE cimplicity OPC connection

A

Ahmed Eldessouki

I want to know how i register my OPC client system to be connected to the GE server OPC. i came to know there is a registry file i have to install in my client to able to see GE server and to allow me to configure DCOM sitting on it.

So please any information is required in this issue as the registry file name is (CIMOpcServer.reg)

Awaiting kind help..

W

William Finn

This might help, I have used the Kepware OPC drivers for GE, Kepware has a great selection for all the GE PLCs and the MarkVI EGD.
Also, I recommend using Matrikon Tunneler which will completely eliminate DCOM issues.

What GE hardware are attempting to connect?

Hope this helps.

William Finn,

> What GE hardware are attempting to connect?

A GE Mark VI Speedtronic turbine control system (from the thread summary).

I think it's important to note that while most OPC software is capable of retrieving data via EGD from the Mark VI control panel, they are not capable of retrieving alarms and events (SOEs; Change Detection; etc.). So, while it may be possible to use OPC for monitoring and/or collecting turbine operating data, and for sending commands to a Speedtronic turbine control panel via EGD, OPC cannot be used to create an operator interface that displays Process- or Diagnostic Alarms, or events.

I find most people, when they discover the Mark VI HMI running CIMPLICITY can communicate via OPC to other control systems and/or HMI software applications, believe that any application that uses OPC can therefore be used to replace a Mark VI HMI for operating the turbine. But, without being able to view alarms at a minimum the OPC function can really only be used for viewing operating data, sending commands to the Mark VI, and archiving operating data.

One more limitation of OPC and EGD is that the timestamps for data obtained via OPC through EGD are NOT the actual controller times. This is because data is written to EGD based on the EGD page configuration, not when the data actually changes. Only Toolbox (or ToolboxST) can be used to obtain controller timestamps for data from the Mark VI controller(s). (When GE provides a Historian using OSIsoft PI, it can also obtain actual controller timestamps for data.)

And only GE HMIs running TCI or WorkstationST can retrieve alarms and events and display them with controller timestamps.

It's all very confusing, and only somewhat intended to be so.