GE Fanuc 90-30 and A-B compatibility?

S

Steve Jamison

I get a vibe that there are A-B modules that will cross with 90-30 modules. Is there any truth to this? I'm new to the GE stuff and am trying to get a low cost rack together of IC693 modules to learn with. (I love this site! Got lost for 4 hrs!)

E

Eric M. Klintworth

Lies, all lies, I'd say. I've been doing Allen-Bradley forever (well, since '87) and just provided six panels each with GE 90-30 processors
and racks (they were hard speced). The A-B (SLC or MicroLogix 1500) and GE 90-30 are both PLCs, but that's about the extent of the similarity.

Besides the many physical and electrical differences, GE begins counting at 1, verses A-B at 0, so GE inputs on an input card are numbered 1
through 16 (or often A1-A8 and B1-B8), where A-B are numbered 0 through 15 (to correspond with bit numbers).

Eric M. Klintworth, PE
Sharp Technologies, Inc.
Columbus, Ohio USA
-------------------------------------

B

Brian Peck Northeast Utilities

Many A-B modules have the same functionality as 90-30 modules. I'm sure that both brands have unique modules, not duplicated exactly in
the other brand. A-B modules will not plug into a 90-30 backplane and GE 90-30 modules will not plug into A-B backplanes.

Brian Peck
Engineer
Northeast Utilities

T

Thomas Swift

So what's your point Eric?

AB processors and I\O cards are incompatable with any other platform.

There are several ways to bridge the systems however. If you love AB processors and programming software, but would like to save at least 1/3 on the cost of I\O, you could use GE's VersaMax I\O system via DeviceNet, Profibus CAN open etc.

ProSoft makes gateways for several mix and match combinations, but I don't know if they have one for an AB-GE connection.

The question begs however, if you are laying out new control archetecture, why are you going to mix platforms?

S

Steve Jamison

> The question begs however, if you are laying out new control archetecture, why are you going to mix platforms?

I'm not, at this point I'm just trying to get familiar enough with the 90-30 line to be able to modify ladder, adjust memory locations, and fit it up an existing system with a cheap-cheap Optimate OI while I get the ridiculously expensive AFE panels sent out for repair.

I surf eBay for 90-30 modules to play around with and have in the truck with me to swap out a supsected bad module. The descriptions for the 90-30 stuff always says "like Allen-Bradley." Well if it's not, then why say it? (dammit!)

The company I do field service for (I'm technically only an independent field rep) has gotten into bed with the Fanuc 90-30 hardcore. So far problems have only been sporadic, but as the equipment ages I'll need to know the in's and out's and possibly some short cuts to get things cooking again.

I'm pretty handy with the Koyo 250. So far my apps have been simple enough that it's limitations are just now becoming apparent. (Like the inabilty to specify addresses mathematically so I can load one table of values on V-memory into another of my choosing so I can have "recipes.")

I'm pretty green at this, I'm having trouble finding information on backwards software compatibilty for 350, 340, and 331. No one seems to be able to tell me if an IC693MDL732A will function any differently than an IC693MDL732C. Why in the year 2000 do I need to run EMM386 to run Logic Master? This kind of stuff scares me about the GE. Just pages and pages of little quirky fixes and things you need to know. I need information and I'm not quite sure where to get it and I can't afford to pay through the nose for it. In a world of $1,700 CPU's I don't want to make any mistakes, this is coming out of *my* pocket. At least with the Koyo stuff, if I blow something up I don't lose any sleep over it. : )

I need a "See Dick, See Jane, See the big red ball" system.

Steve Jamison
NJ Industrial Controls

T

Thomas Swift

"So far my apps have been simple enough that it's limitations are just now becoming apparent."

limitations of a 90-30 vs. a Koyo? surely you jest!

"(Like the inabilty to specify addresses mathematically so I can load one table of values on V-memory into another of my choosing so I can have "recipes.")"

90-30's have a very powerful "array move" function that allows for indirect addressing. This function allows for very efficent use of memory when doing recipies.

"I'm pretty green at this, I'm having trouble finding information on backwards software compatibilty for 350, 340, and 331."

You will need rev. 7.0 or better when using the 350 if you want full functionality, however the 340 and downward CPU's can be programmed with earlier versions.

"No one seems to be able to tell me if an IC693MDL732A will function any differently than an IC693MDL732C."

They will work identically.

"Why in the year 2000 do I need to run EMM386 to run Logic Master?"

Because LM-90 runs on DOS. GE has a windows based product (VersaPro) which costs half of what LM90 did. (And you get LM90 V9.02 on the CD for free!)

"This kind of stuff scares me about the GE. Just pages and pages of little quirky fixes and things you need to know."

Welcome to controls and automation!

"I need information and I'm not quite sure where to get it and I can't afford to pay through the nose for it."

Try www.gefanuc.com, go to the tech support section and download to your hearts content.
I have found a manual for every module I ever used there.
Don't cost nothin'.

"In a world of $1,700 CPU's I don't want to make any mistakes, this is coming out of *my* pocket. At least with the Koyo stuff, if I blow something up I don't lose any sleep over it. : )"

No comment

S

Steve Jamison

>>"So far my apps have been simple enough that >>it's limitations are just now becoming apparent."

>limitations of a 90-30 vs. a Koyo? surely you jest!

Ummm, no. I said the limitations of the 250 are just becoming apparent. I know squat about the actual ladder and function of a 90-30. So far all I've ever done is load pre-programmed software into CPU's while in the field.

> I have found a manual for every module I ever > used there. Don't cost nothin'.

Manuals haven't been my problem. Identifying what software works with what CPU's was. I searched the site high and low and was more confused than when I started. Your answer was all I needed, thanks! One of the GE tech guys has pointed me in the right direction on a bunch of questions also.

Thanks to all, I really appreciate the help,

Steve Jamison
NJ Industrial Controls

S

Steve Myres, PE

I think there is an indexed load statement in the 105/205/405 series. LDX?? I think. This should be similar to the # sign offset in the SLC where you calculate an offset value and then refer to the memory location by proxy. I think this only moves one word at a time, so you would need some sort of loop.