GE Series 6 OPC Server

D

David Bergeron

Does anybody know of an OPC server that will communicate with the old GE Series 6 PLC? All the GE OPC servers I see only seem to communicate with the newer 90-30 series PLC. Thanks, David Bergeron, P.E. Thompson Equipment Co. Phone: 504-833-6381 Fax: 504-831-4664 www.thompson-equipment.com

S

Steve Bailey

With the right communications module (CCM Type 3, IC600CB537)in the Series Six you can communicate via Modbus (RTU). I believe there were some restrictions on which memory areas you could access, but try an OPC server for Modbus.

D
Kepware offers a number of servers for GE Fanuc PLCs. On their web-site is the server KEPS-EXGECCM that is described as supporting the GE Fanuc CCM protocol. The Series 6 supports CCM as its only serial protocol. I've not used the KEPS-EXGECCM server and Kepware lists it as "beta". Drake Fink Sr. Application Engineer GE Fanuc Automation Denver, CO

S

Steve Bailey

The default communication protocol for the Series Six is CCM, which very few companies other than GE ever implemented. If you try asking for an OPC server for CCM, rather than GE Series Six, you might get lucky. There is another possibility. The IC600CB537 (CCM Type 3) module can be configured for RTU (modbus) protocol.

C

Chuck Karwoski

Hi Dave - I believe the old GE Series 6 also supports Modbus RTU/ASCII protocols. There are plenty of Modbus servers on the market. Chuck