GE Torque Converter

G

gadouche

What makes a Torque converter vibrating. We have GE 5001P gas turbine unit and have excessive vibration on torque converter. We remplaced the failled one with a new GE TC , but the probleme still exist.

plz any suggestion will be appreciated

gadouche,

Do you know why the first torque converter failed?

These torque converters were typically manufactured by TwinDisc Corporation, if I recall correctly. They are pretty bullet-proof as many are regularly abused and poorly maintained.

Some torque converters have filters on the inlet; if yours does, what is the condition of the filter?

Some torque converters have solenoids (so-called "spoiling" solenoids, or similar) on them; if yours does is it working properly?

Does the torque converter get very hot when it's transmitting torque? They normally get warm, but if the oil flow is good they will not get excessively warm (I classify an excessively warm torque converter as one that radiates heat and one's hand cannot remain on the torque converter casing for even a split second).

What kind of starting means is driving the torque converter?

Is the torque converter able to accelerate the unit through purging and firing to self-sustaining speed?

What is the control system used on the turbine and auxiliaries?

Finally, and not least important--is the torque converter properly aligned to the starting means, and then through the clutch, to the Access. Gear shaft?

If the unit has a jaw clutch, what happens when you put the VM-1 manual switch in the "disengage" position, and then run the starting means as if trying to start the turbine? Does the torque converter still vibrate excessively when it's not transmitting torque?

When did the previous torque converter develop problems? After a maintenance outage? After refurbishment/replacement?

This isn't likely a controls-related problem, unless there is a problem with a solenoid operated by the control system. It seems like a mechanical issue--alignment; oil flow; etc.

Please write back to let us know what you find.

thank you for your kind assistance.

First of all, when you say "inlet filter", do you mean or i suppose its oil filter, isn it?

The TC is driven by mean of electric motor (starting), and the TC is able to accelerate the turbine proprely (no slippage) to the firing and also to connection to grid.

The control system is Mark6 e. We performed alignement, and it seems ok. we did not notice any TC faillure till we found a huge oil leak in jointing flanges. When we dismantle, we found some broken bolt. the bearing seems ok just worn may be, and we can reuse them. also no noticeable damage in wheels, turbine, impeler.....

gadouche,

So, it was aligned--and it seems okay. What does that mean--it seems okay? The vibration has gone away? The alignment seems okay, but the vibration still exists? Was it aligned when the new torque converter was installed, or after the new torque converter was installed?

Yes; by inlet filter I mean it's oil filter.

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer--or GE (I believe you said you bought a new torque converter from GE in your original post)--to see what they recommend, I mean, if the vibration is still persisting?

According to vibration team they aligned Tc/staring motor and it was within tolerance. This was performed after installing new TC and vibration still exist si we decide to do alignment.

The new Tc is the same GE reference as the existing one (and existing in other similar unit, there are 4 GT 5001 unit). we borrowed it from another power plant and purchased long time ago. we are about to perform vibration test with the jaw clutch disengaged (the shaft turbine is not driven by TC), and i will let you know if Tc still vibrate.

Thanks and see u next time

gadouche,

Thank you for the feedback.

Please write back to let us know what you find as you progress in your troubleshooting.