Generator voltage and amps increase when connecting a load

Hi Everybody
We changed our mercury vapor lamps to LED lamps to save power consumption in our factory. The ballast and capacitor wasn't bypassed.
Can this be the reason then, when the generator is running and the load is connected the voltage and the amps will increase in such a way that the generator will trip out on over voltage. The AVR was changed and the diodes was changed to no avail

PieterC,

1) Have you tried opening the breaker(s)/swith(es) that send mains power to the new light circuit(s) before connecting the load to the generator just to see if it's the lighting changes that are causing the problem?

2) We are presuming the LED lights are proper direct substitutes (meaning the installation instructions specifically said it WAS NOT necessary to remove the ballast and/or capacitor when replacing mercury vapor lamps with these LED lamps), AND that the voltage rating of the LED lights matches the circuit/mains?

To me, it seems it would be a good idea to try to isolate the loads BEFORE connecting the generator to them, and then, one at a time, close the breakers/switches of each load/circuit and see how the generator responds. If the ONLY thing that changed was the substitution of LED lamps for mercury vapor lamps and when the power is applied to the new LED lamp circuit(s) then if something is amiss with the installation or the choice of LED lamps or the wiring/circuitry you will see it immediately when you apply power to the circuit.

I would also try the lighting circuit LAST in this test, just to see if the generator, AVR and/or diodes were damaged by something--if the generator will power other loads without problems that will tell you the generator, AVR and diodes are probably good. And if you then try powering the LED lighting circuit(s) and there's a problem with the generator tripping off you will know it's something with the LED lighting circuit(s) and that the generator, AVR and diodes are probably good.

I would also suggest having another read of the LED lamp instructions, and/or contact the supplier or manufacturer for assistance if the LED lighting circuit(s) do turn out to be the problem.

Hope this helps, and best of luck! Please write back to let us know how you succeed in this testing and how you resolve the problem!