Generic HART Manufacturer ID?

A

Adrian Lodge

I work for a small company developing a sensor and using HART for the first time.

Due to the size of the company and a limited budget, becoming a member of the HART foundation ($5000/yr) is unrealistic, but this seems to be the only way to acquire a manufacturer ID for our device, despite HART being a supposed "open protocol".

My question is whether there is a generic HART manufacture ID available for those only wishing to implement the standard without registering? Alternatively, what other solutions are available?

Currently the plan is to provide a custom command that allows the end-user to change the device/manufacturer ID and set it to something that doesn't clash with their existing system. If it helps, this sensor is only intended for a one-to-one configuration and not multi-drop.

I have purchased a copy of the HART Protocol Test Specification (Revision 7.5) and would consider also buying the full specification if required. Up until now I have largely pieced together the standard from documentation available freely online but am confident of my implementation.

Any clarification would be really appreciated.

W
To legally describe your device as HART enabled, you must have the device certified by the HART Communication Foundation. It is analogous to describing your device as Intrinsically Safe (designed to meet). You can't do that. You need to have it tested by FM, UL, CSA or other recognized testing laboratories. HART registration is the same thing.

While there are companies in China that do what you describe, they can only be successful in China where intellectual property banditry is approved and respected. The membership fees to belong to the HART foundation are reasonable and small. If you added $50 to the price of each HART enabled instrument you could pay for it almost instantly, so don't talk about it being unrealistic. HART is, in fact, an open protocol but even open protocols require fees and expenses.

You could, of course, illegally put the HART logo on your device. And then you can pay lawyers, penalties, fees, and have your company embarrassed in front of its customers.

Suck it up and register your devices.

Walt

Walt Boyes, Life Fellow, ISA; Fellow InstMC
Chartered Measurement and Control Technologist
Spitzer and Boyes LLC
3646 Wyoming Street
St Louis MO 63116

A

Adrian Lodge

Perhaps my definition of “open standard” is more closely based around a software developer’s “open source” definition which promotes free adoption, implementation and extension.

It was my understanding that registration wasn’t mandatory unless you wish to display the “HART Registered” mark and put your device through independent testing provided by the foundation, as is described here:

http://www.hartcomm.org/hcf/news/pr2009/device_reg_program.html

Furthermore the “About the HART Protocol” page on their website explicitly states that “the protocol remains open and free for all to use without royalties”.

I am also interested on what you base the additional $50 on, considering you are not familiar with either: my company, its market nor the product in development.

W
You are correct, registration is not mandatory. However, if you represent your device as HART-enabled, you have an insurance problem unless you have passed the testing and become registered. There are no royalties to use HART protocol. If you're doing HART, I am familiar with your market. I may not know your company, or your product.

This is the sort of information people usually pay me money to obtain. I hope I've helped you.

Best,

Walt Boyes

Spitzer and Boyes LLC

A

Adrian Lodge

Thank you, I appreciate the help.

I would still be interested to hear if anyone else has come up against this problem and how they resolved it?

Thanks in advance.

A

Adrian Lodge

For anyone interested I contacted the HCF and while you aren't required to become a paying member of the foundation the alternate route is considerably more expensive.

You MUST register any device that uses HART. I believe some confusion for me lay in the fact that they changed the rules in 2011 to specify this and some information out there is pre-2011.

Whether you become a member or not the cost of registering a device is $3,000. As a non-member a manufacturer ID will cost $16,500 and would be required for device registration to be compliant.

For a small company your best route is probably to become a member.

In addition they mentioned that clarification of these points will hopefully be included in an updated version of their website, soon.

I have tried to supply accurate information here but you should still contact the HCF for updated information.

W
I was reporting the 2011 change. In the past, "self-certification" was frowned upon but permitted. In 2011, the HART Board changed the rules. They also made it improper to call the instrument HART if it has not been tested and approved.

This is the same stuff that the industry went through about 20 years ago about "Explosion Proof" and "Intrinsic Safe" where people would put in their literature that the product was "designed to meet. ' Insurance companies held that this wasn¹t good enough and the practice fairly quickly stopped. No one would consider doing that now.

Best,
Walt

Spitzer and Boyes LLC

**Spitzer and Boyes LLC publishes the Industrial Instrumentation INSIDER (www.iainsider.com)**