Genius bus controller

V

vinod kumar

I would like to know about Genius bus controller and network interface unit for GE Fanuc 90-30 series PLCs.

C

Curt Wuollet

And I would like to forget.:^)

Actually GE is relatively free with their documentation. You have to register, but they actually have substantive explanations of some of their protos and their manuals aren't aimed at driving you to their classes for real information. And if you talk nice to a distributor they may give you an old or new infolink CD that has a lot of stuff on it if you don't have highspeed access. Try google for GEFanuc Automation.

Regards

cww

You need the GEFanuc manual which is number GFK1034. this is on the infolink CD. send me your email address and I'll email you the pdf file (hope you've got Adobe acrobat).

Reply to [email protected]

J
What would you like to Know? The Genius Communication is a proprietary communication protocol developed by GE. It's a very robust and reliable system if designed correctly. Works well on moderately sized systems, say in the vicinity of 2000 Analog points and/or 5000 discrete points.

It supports redundancy in a seamless manner and can be routed in the vicinity of 4000 feet or more from beginning to end of a bus which is a two wire low capacitance cable. It must be routed as a beginning and an end in a continuous linear fashion. One can not STAR this communication cable. It's not like Ethernet or 485.

A 90-30 can act in two modes. If you use the Genius Bus Controller, then it holds the bus control. There can only be one primary controller per bus (usually ID 32). In a redundancy mode, there is a second controller on the bus (usually ID 31).

In a 90-30 one can also supply just a Genius Comm Module (IC693CMM302). This means that it can transfer data on the Genius Bus, but it is not the controller. It consummes a node or ID as well, but all of the I/O or Memory on the 90-30 is potentially available to broadcast on the bus.

The Genius Bus exchange uses predefined data addresses. There can be a maximum of 32 nodes on any given bus, one of which is the Genius Bus Controller. These other nodes can be other PLCs, PCs, remote Versamax I/O with a Genius NIU, or Genius Blocks. All of the nodes utilize one of the 32 IDs.

There can be more than one Genius Bus Controller on a 90-30 but there is a limit. Each bus can identify 32 nodes.

A nice system utilizes a 90-30 PLC/CPU with a Genius Bus Controller module (IC693BEM331). This controller can then acquire data from remotely located I/O areas separated by significant distances. The remote I/O works well with the Versamax Remote I/O configured with a Genius NIU (IC200GBI001). One can mix and match the type of I/O required at each drop.