GE's Gas Turbine Female Names

R

Roboto_88

Hi guys,

I'm looking to find the actual women's names that are associated with GE Gas Turbine. I know that MS5001N is Nancy, MS5001M is Mary but what about the rest. Is there a nomenclature or if anyone knows it will much appreciated

Thanks in Advance

To my knowledge, these are the only 2 machines that had female names attached to them. "Mary" and "Nancy" were used to avoid mistakes when speaking of the 2 different designs. M and N are phonetically similar, and the 2 designs were contemporaries - the N did not replace the M, they had somewhat different applications. The N was eventually replaced by the P and the M was replaced by the R.

Thanks for the replay Otised.

But if only the two machines that were named after women then what do the letters stand for on the other machines shown below?

MS5001A
MS5001B
MS5001D
MS5001J
MS5001K
MS5001L
MS5001LA
MS5001P
MS5001PA
MS5002A

Thanks

The machines were <b>NOT</b> named after females. As otised said, a spoken M sounds very much like a spoken N, and so Mary and Nancy were used to differentiate between 500nN and 500nM machines to reduce any possible confusion.

Just as when speaking on a radio it is sometimes necessary to differentiate between letters of the alphabet by using short, familiar words, Mary and Nancy were chosen to differentiate between M and N machines.

The letters just indicate a design change, generally to improve performance. The 5001A was the first of the 5001 GE gas turbines, the "B" the next, and so on. Most of the incremental revisions involved improved materials in the hot gas path parts which permitted higher firing temperatures and increased output. Revisions to the control system also occurred. The "L" and earlier had pneumatic and mechanical (link & lever) controls. The "LA" had fuel regulator controls. The "M" was the first SPEEDTRONIC (Mark I). The "N" had a revised compressor, including variable inlet guide vanes, still Mark I controls. The "P" is an upgraded "N", with Mark II and higher controls; the "R" is an upgraded "M", with Mark II and higher controls. These last 2 versions are still in production.

The 5002A is a 2-shaft version of the "M", with Mark II controls. I believe the 5002C is the current version of this machine. The 5002B is a 2-shaft version of the "N", with Mark II controls. I believe the 5002D is the current version of this machine.