Going Online with Siemens S7 PLC

L

Lalo Quera

When I connect directly hard wired to this PLC, I can successfully connect to it. In this direct connection, when I go to "Accessible devices", I see 3 options via PN/IE:

1) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260
2) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM
3) PLCSIM

and the only method that works for me is when I select "Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM", and when I press the "Start Search" my PLC populates.

This PLC has the IP address 172.19.48.125. The subnet mask and Gateway/Route address corresponding to our network protocol in our plant. However, when I go and connect this PLC to a network-switch which is connected to a network drop coming from our Server room. (On this network-switch I have other Allen Bradley PLCs too). When I ping the Siemens PLC new address, I get a reply.

The issue is when I try to connect TO this PLC from my Wireless card on my laptop. This time, I can only select two options via PN/IE

1) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260
2) PLCSIM

I proceed to select my Wireless Adapter from my laptop ("Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260"), but when I press the "Start Search" button, and nothing comes up. Is there a different procedure in connecting to this PLC via WiFi? (Via Wifi, I am able to access Allen Bradley, and Omron PLCs this way and going online with it, but not Siemens).

Any recommendations on what to do on this case? I would very much appreciate your help.

Thank you.

We have a lot of trouble with "view accessible nodes" working on our company network, especially over wi-fi. It almost never works over wireless. It only sometimes works over a wired connection and almost always works using the PC Adapter. I suspect our trouble is something in the network switch configuration or group policy settings in our laptops, both of which are rigidly controlled by corporate IT in another state. We can connect to the PLC via the wireless network from within a project that has an accurate hardware configuration as long as we can ping the PLC.