GPIB 16bit and 32bit

• Thread starter Anuar Bin Mansor
  • Start date
A

Anuar Bin Mansor

Hi everybody,

I'm using VB3 (16bit) under Windows 3.11 and also the GPIB library file (GPIB.DLL 16bit) to acquire data read from Keithley Source Measurement Unit(SMU). For certain reason, I need to upgrade this application into VB4 (32bit) running under Windows95. Now, I know that GPIB.DLL cannot run
under this 32-bit VB4. I checked there's a 32-bit dll file(GPIB-32.DLL).

What i'd like to know is that if I changed the file from GPIB.DLL to GPIB-32.DLL ONLY, without changing any code in the program, will it work?
Anybody has experienced it before?

Regards,
Anuar Mansor
> Systems Analyst
> MIS Department
> TPC (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd.

J

Jeff LeBlanc

You may or may not have to modify the dll function calls. The calls sometimes will have a 32 or other characters added onto the function name. It should be easy enough to try. If the function calls fail then you will have to change the declarations. If they work you will be good to go.

Jeff LeBlanc

P

Preston Todd Johnson

If you are using National Instruments GPIB, they have worked really hard to
insure older code works with their new DLLs. You can download upgraded DLLs
from their website at www.ni.com

Preston Todd Johnson

D

Dharani Singh Raja

No! You need to register the DLL. This can be done by running the GPIB installation program, that is meant for 32 bit OSes, provided by the vendor of your GPIB interface. If you're using a GPIB I/F card such as NI or HP talk to them for this driver installation program. To access this DLL from your VB code you need source files that declare the public functions in the DLL to be included in your VB project. These source files can be found in the installation disks.