GPRS Modem

V

VIJAY BHARADVA

We want to design a SCADA system which can acquire data from various location away from SCADA station. Distance between each location from where data has to be acquired is approximately 1 Km. Distance of this location to SCADA is in the range of 1-10Km. No of Stations connected with SCADA will be in range of 1000. At each station we will use Allen-Bradley Micrologix-1200 or Micrologix-1500 PLCs. Each PLCs has to be connected via some wireless media with SCADA. Radio Modem will not work in this application so we choose GPRS/Internet technology to connect all station to SCADA. I am searching for suitable modem which can be used for this application. If data polling at SCADA from various located PLCs is continuous then it will be better.

P

Prasanth Gopalakrishnan \(Kalkitech\\IN\

If you are looking at GPRS/Internet, you will need to either use a GPRS based device server or terminal server or use a protocol converter. I assume your PLC will have a serial interface, and this needs to dial-up using the GPRS Modem, establish a PPP connection, etc. Unless your PLC support these, u will have trouble using GPRS.

--------------------------------------
Prasanth Gopalakrishnan
Kalki Communication Technologies Private Limited
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.kalkitech.com
Phone : 91-80-2572 1263/91-80-2572 1264
: 91-80-2572 5501/91-80-2572 5498
: 91-80-5110 8310/91-80-5110 8362
Fax : 91-80-2572 5473
Mobile: 91-98454 50872

IEC 61850 Solutions Links from Kalki:
www.kalkitech.com/iec61850.htm
www.kalkitech.com/substationgateway.htm

I think you can check Wimax solution, it can be better.

If you want to communication over GSM or GPRS, you have to check with your network provider in your country that they can support for what bandwidth first.

You can choice some GSM modem:
http://www.klinkmann.com/downloads/eng/Wireless_M2M_solutions.pdf
Or other GSM modem of other manufacturers. If you can't find confortable GSM modem, you have provide the protocol, messages of your PLC communication port, so that the GSM modem manufacturer will make the driver for GSM modem for you.

Tks and Rgs

Huy

R

Ranjeet Vaishnav

Hello Vijay,

What port of your PLC do you plan to use? Serial port won't help, you will need an IP port that supports PPP connection.

Regarding modems, there are several modems available in the market. I can give you a list of modem manufaturers we have interacted with for our DA system project (write to me at [email protected]).

If it's a substation environment where you want to use these modems, then please be very careful about the choice. You will need to have an Industrial grade modem, Class-10 EMI/EMC compliant.

Regards,
Ranjeet

Dear sir,
Thank you for your guidance.
bandwidth supported for GSM is 900 to 1800. which is available in most countries.
Regarding wimax solution, are you talking about radio devices? please make it clear.
Because radio devices are not allowed here.

Vijay

Wimax or GMS solution always are radio device.
I think wimax is new technology so it is not public, you can use GPRS modem for your system.
First, you need to know what modem manufacturer support for your PLC and what port in your PLC can connect with a modem.

Next, you confirm with the modem manufacturer you have chosen that the modem can support for your PLC by send them the description about your PLC, communication port, protocol, data frame...

Finally, you have to check with your network provdider that thay support: have GSM and GPRS signal in the area where you want to install your system.

Thanks
Huy
[email protected]

Your application were widely used in China, We call this products as GPRS DTU (data terminal unit). This products embedded ARM7 microprocessor inside with RTOS (real time operation system, such as ucos-II), it support TCP/IP, UDP, FTP, HTTP, pop3 and SMTP protocol. This terminal commonly use Siemens MC55 or Siemnes MC39i as engine. This kind of products commenly have RS-232 or RS-485 interface, could connect your RS-232 or RS-485 devices directly. It sent and receive data via GPRS, setup TCP/IP socket channel with your host computer (SCADA computer). Your host computer must have a fixed IP address. Then your host computer could setup TCP/IP connection with your remote RS-232 or RS-485 devices (such as RTU or PLCS) with their serial port.

These kind wireless GPRS application widely used at power meter auoto reading system, pipe line supervisory control and monitoring, oil field telemter, etc.
Some of Chinese company have such products, you could serch "DTU" on google.
Our company also engaged in such product producing, we could provide GPRS or CDMA RTU or DTU or coustomer in China. The price almost USD200/pcs.CDMA RTU is more expensive. I hope my information is useful to you.

Sales Manager
Mr.Li Min

Tel:+86-531-86424518
Fax:+86-531-86424519
Mobile: +86-13335165552
E-mail: [email protected]
Add: No.5-1 Yangtouyu East Street Jinan,Shandong Province, P.R.China