Grounding Terminals for Control Shields

R

Ronald Sewell

Concerning tying control cable shield to ground in the marshalling cabinet, anyone out there have opinions on using grounding terminals as opposed to regular terminals which are then each wired to a gounding bus? I see much more of the regular terminals used, but it would seem that using grounding terminals would save some wiring effort and clutter. When its up to you, what whould you suggest as best practice?

Ron Sewell

Ron,

From a wiring point of view it's easier to get rid of the grounds as soon as possible by going to a dedicated ground bar with them. From a long term maintenance troubleshooting point of view it's also nice and obvious as to what those wires are doing. I can't think of a good reason to lead grounds to regular terminals.

Hugo

B

Bill Townsley

Ron,
I prefer using terminals as close as possible to signal wires to reduce length of "unshielded" wiring to a minimum. Also allows for wires AND sheath to be run neatly in the wireway (albeit takes up more room). When I have a choice, I also tend to use the triple-decker terminals for these analog signals - makes things really neat and tidy.

Bill.