H2SO4 acid close tank level measurement

V

VGUPTA

Sir,

we want to H2SO4 acid level measurement for closed vessel and we had already installed VEGA ultrasonic transmitter for this application but is is not success due to VEGA show error even vessel empty. Because fumes was accumulated at sensor and due to this LT was show error. Please suggest ultrasonic or any other type of LT which is suitable for H2SO4 acid closed vessel.

One more thing, we have no earlier radar or wave guide type transmitter so it is necessary for taking any type of license to industry.

B

bob peterson

I have used float type transducers as well as D/P type level for this type of application.

I suspect the reason the ultrasonic system did not work was a misapplication of the product. I don't see how fumes could cause it to fail in the way you are describing.

--
Bob

The components of the VEGA ultrasonic are not compatible with that product and it's likely that ingress caused damage to the transducer and other parts, resulting in a faulty device. My experience is solely with VEGA instruments, I would suspect other brands to have similar issues. Contactless radar (through-air) seems like a much better technology for this application and I would recommend the PULS 62 and to check with the manufacturer on information regarding to compatibility with H2SO4.

There are various instruments that will work in a application like this but with all of them the most important thing you need to look at first is the get the transmitter in the right type of material.

There is nothing wrong with installing a Ultra Sonic Transmitter in a application like this and they will work well. I agree that they will not fail due to fumes and that ingress of the acid into the electronics have most probably taken place.

My personal first preference will be to use a DPT with remote chemical seals. These remote seals can be made up specially for a acid application like this and the capillary type transmitter will also ensure that the person working on the application never comes into contact with the liquid inside the vessel.

If this is not possible to do use a reflex radar or a Ultra sonic transmitter made up specially for acid applications. The guide wave radar is a bit over the top for an application like this.