Height sensor for BMI calculation

F

Fahad

Hi..

I'm student and i'm working in my final year project.

My project is about Automatic Body Mass Index Calculation System.

I'm going to use a load cell to measure the weight and I found it, but i have problem with the height sensor.

I need your help to do this project I need a sensor and the range is to 200 cm.

Hope that u understand my problem and please help :)

thanx

B
Hi,

I think you could use an ultrasonic sensor with a analog output to meassure the height of a person. If you place it above the weight scale in a fixed spot you should be able to meassure the height.

There are many diffrent vendors to use but I have good experience with Pepperl&Fuchs ultrasonic sensors.

BR
Björn

Ultrasonic from the top down. If calibrated right, u can get some very accurate measurements.

B

Berry Electrical Services

If the operation is to be automatic the measurement is some what harder only for the hair on the head of the subject. If the measurement can be made manually then a sliding encoder value can be written to the plc or the hmi or the pc make the sliding encoder with an out rigger arm to contact the top of the subject would not be that difficult working the values of a known zero point and calculating the height into the program might be a little harder if you took 5 encoded pulse for say 1 mm you only have to count around 5000 total encoder pulses while adding the base height to the encoded value to come up with a very accurate height measurement. The base height I mean the standing height of let us say an average male subject 5 feet tall if this approach helps very good if not good luck with the sensor hunting.

Best regards from Peter