Help with VFD

A

abdrew

I have a VFD called a Vision 1 model WA1003. single phase in and 3 phase output, 3 h.p..

i can't find any info on the unit and wondering if anyone ever heard of or knows about these units. I would like to find a owners manual if possible.

someone told me i might have to have a load on it to test it. i just can't put single phase in and read output with my meter? true or false?

thanks for any help.
andrew

That is a 20 year old Emerson drive, it predates the wide adoption of the internet for manuals and such, so it is not likely available on line. You might be able to get info from Emerson / Control Techniques, but maybe not, they are only required to support product for 7 years.

http://www.emersonindustrial.com/en-EN/documentcenter/ControlTechniques/PDF/vision1_data.pdf

That is a very old drive and if it has not been running for a year or more, it probably is not worth salvaging because the capacitors will fail in short order (if they haven't already just by powering it up). You can do what is called a "capacitor reforming procedure" to try to rescue them, but it's hardly worth it to be honest. You can buy a MUCH better 3HP 230V drive now for under $200 if you look around, and even the most stripped down one now is better than that one ever was.

The output of a VFD is not "real" AC power it is pulsed DC (PWM = Pulse Width Modulation), so a cheap multimeter is more or less useless to measure anything on it.