HMI in visual basic

C

ce pendang

good day....

it put me into my interest on how to develop an hmi using visual basic. i have an IED meter having a dnp protocol. what I want is to collect the data from the IED meter using an rs23 [moderators note RS232?].I just read a book but i think i need more knowledge and research on how to implement.

thnx for your help

What you'll find is that implementing the protocol driver can be the most challenging part. Most protocols have drivers available in some form or another. You may find some on sourceforge.net although they will most likely be in C language.

There is also the option of purchasing something like an OPC, ActiveX, or .NET driver.

I've implemented several drivers in VB, but the complexity makes it difficult to look at for an example. If you wanted to see one, they are posted with my AdvancedHMI project. Although not complete, the Modbus driver is probably the best to look at for an example.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/advancedhmi/

I think you're best bet is to purchase an OPC driver. Companies like Kepware have inexpensive rock solid drivers (best money you'll ever spend). Once the Server and driver are installed you'll quickly be on your way to developing a VB HMI. You can download their products for testing from their website.

Good luck
Giovanni