Honeywell DE protocol to Modbus conversion

R

Robert Ward

Looking for a module that converts Honeywells DE instrument protocol to Modbus, either serial or TCP. Thanks for any help!

Robert

I really doubt that there's any protocol converter for Honeywell's DE. I've looked over the years.

DE appears to be continuous, point-to-point broadcast mode from transmitter to receiver. I say appears, because I've been unable to find any documentation on it.

But broadcast is not what Modbus does with its master/slave protocol. That isn't to say that a protocol converter couldn't buffer and store to comply with another protocol like Modbus, but i'm afraid that the numbers of DE installations just don't warrant the investment in developing such.

As you're probably aware, Honeywell TDC DCSes can use DE as a comm mode to get primary and secondary PVs, (and maybe some diagnostic info).

Yamatake might have a derivative of DE (their magmeters use a communicator suspiciously similar to the Honeywell SFC STS10x handhelds).

I know that the handheld communicators use DE for communications for configuration (DE produces the process bump because the 4-20 itself modulates, which is why its critical to put the loop in manual before polling with the communicator)

Honeywell does have a Windows program that emulates the functions of a communicator using a PCMCIA card and a proprietary electronics gizmo for the hardware connection. But it has no source code and is not designed for anything other than configuration and on-line monitoring.

I've never run into any device or system claiming to communicate with Honeywell DE other than Honeywell's own DCS.

If you do find something, please post such on this forum.

David

Gary,
Thanks for the info on the Prolinx gateway. Somehow it escaped my search for such over the years.

David