Honeywell S9000s obsolescence

A

Anonymous

We have 5 Honeywell S9000 PLCs in the plant. The PLCs are on the verge of obsolescence.
We want to replace these PLCs with a newer PLC, but Honeywell has decided not to adopt a migration path for the S9000s, thus leaving us in a lurch.
As such, it seems to us that we would need to buy new PLCs and re-program all of them from scratch. The S9000 PLCs have been primarily programmed using ladder logic.

Has anybody else faced this problem, especially with the S9000s? Is there a migration path from Honeywell 9000s to a newer type of PLC? Alternatively, there a conversion software out there which would take the old program and give us a program compatible with a newer PLC?

Any illumination would be of tremendous help.

Thanks.

Take a look at the AB ControlLogix line. The S9000 was one of the first to PLCs to offer FBD programming as well as ladder. The ControlLogix will do everything the s9000 does and a whole lot more. Honeywell partnered with AB and they have a joint system out. I think it is called Plantscape and it is based in the ControlLogix platform. Work with your AB and Honeywell distributors on this. You will have to translate your program, a bit tedious, but not difficult. The last s9000 system I worked on cost quite a bit more than using PLC5s would have cost, and the ControlLogix platform costs less than the PLC5 platform, so hopefully this wont be a budget breaker.

R

Richard Zeigler

I am the Product Manager for the S9000 at Honeywell. Our plans are to continue to manufacture of the S9000 for at least 2 more years. There is a migration path for the S9000 with a new platform called the HC900. If you would like more details on this new product, please contact me at the below e-mail address:

[email protected]