How Can I Acquire Encoder's Output?

E

Ehsan Soltany

Reading optical encoder's output signal requires special data acquisition boards that have encoder input port.
I have a PCL-818L DAQ board that has not it.
How can I do this?
For example by constructing a seperated simple board.

C

Curt Wuollet

The logic to decode a quadrature incremental decoder is far from the advanced rocket science that board prices would indicate. I'd google encoder logic or quadrature decoder and check out some of the robotics hobby sites. I did this with a few ttl chips way back when, but I can't
remember what I did and it predated PCs so the paper has probably reverted to dust.

Regards

cww

B

Behruz Ameri

Hi,

I have never used the PCL-818L DAQ board but apparantly it has a programmable 16-bit timer/counter feature. You can probably use counter 0 to interface to your encoder. The input is TTL level but you can also use a pull up resistor if you have for example an open collector encoder. Read the manual for PCL-818L it gives all the info you need on the connections and programming.

If you need to generate rate from your encoder input you have to do that with code.

Good Luck

Behruz Ameri

R

Robert Arias

At this moment, my company has a single board RTU that accommodates a single quadrature input from an encoder or for more robust applications, we have a board that will bring in 2 and 3 different quadrature inputs. If you need more information on these products, please contact me through the moderator.

Thank you,
Robert Arias

E

Ehsan Soltany

Hello,

Thank you for your attention.

Can I get more information about products you said? For example capabilities and price. Do these boards work together with another board or stand alone?

Ehsan Soltany
[email protected]