How Can I Connect A Wind Turbine To A Ship's Grid?

S

SmK252

I'm doing a project on Wind Turbines (PMSG) placed on container ships.
I would like this WT to load share with the running diesel generator without battery banks.

Will AVR from the DG's alternator be able to handle this? Or what do I need to connect the WT correctly to the grid?

Thank you in advance

There's really not a great way to get wind turbines to load share. They produce what they produce, and that's about it. If anything, you would need to control the diesel engine to increase or decrease power to accommodate what the wind is producing, which is how the US grid is operated now when renewables are connected. This would be complicated at best and I'm not sure that you would be gaining much.

It seems like the turbines would be creating a bit of drag that would cause the engines to have to work harder, which would kind of defeat the purpose installing the wind turbines in the first place. Perhaps solar would be a better option if you needed to incorporate renewables.

nic

Well Nic,

Thats not the case here. Today's engine rotor systems are mostly hybrid, so it's possible to load share. The container ship industry is always introduced to heavy winds on sea. The wind turbines are designed to harness wind energy for any direction that does not oppose the movement of container ship. Somewhat like sails, a newer, hybrid energy application. Load sharing circuitry for renewable energy systems can be efficiently employed for this. The grid parameters depend on the rotor or control systems.

Hope that helps.

JSPRINGS,

This is interesting; please help me to understand how to load share with wind turbines. My understanding of wind turbines is that there is not a great way to control their output, which would seem to make it difficult to enable them to share properly. Short of some sophisticated pitch control system on the blades, or gearing system in the drivetrain - which I am only aware of in large land or offshore based turbines - the operator or controller is stuck with controlling the diesel engine to increase or decrease its output based on the wind. That seems like it would make the diesel engine less efficient.

Dear Nic,

Here the case is not instantaneous control of the diesel engine.
The diesel engine runs on rather constant torque, connected to a hybrid system, generating electricity, which in turn runs the motor driving the propeller. It is here that the energy generated from the wind turbines are employed. The output of the diesel generator is regulated through switching, which in turn provides opportunity for the power generated from the wind turbines to pitch in( Although not significantly large).

In a directly driven propeller, this cannot be applied as such. Additional rotors can be employed though.

There are other ways such as rotor ship technology to harness wind power, still in its baby steps.

Here even the slightest add to efficiency saves a lot of fuel and pollution, as it is one of the most constant and largest consumer of high sulfur fuel.