how can i run modsoft a dos based app in windows xp

D

devendree

is it possible to run modsoft on windows xp - what error/ problems associated with this

N
Go to Start, then run, type cmd and then hit enter. You are now in a dos window, give that a try.

You will have to try it. I can run some DOS programmes in XP in Windows 98 compatability mode but others will not run. One of the problems is that DOS based programmes often access interrupts direct. My understanding is that XP will not allow this.

I have found some problems with programmes that I can run successfully. They often will not communicate through USB/serial converters. USB converters are usually installed as COM4 and up. Many DOS programmes cannot access this address. You could try moving the convereter to Com1 or COM2. This sometimes works.

The other issue I have found is only half the graphics screen shows. You could try ALT Enter and see if this will expand the screen.

That depends entirely on how well behaved the program is. If it used dos system calls to handle system IO, then you can probably run it OK under XP if you configure XP to run the program in WIN95 compatability mode. If the program usurps control of IO from DOS and uses its own IO handlers, it will not work under XP.

D

Darrell Wrubleski

Modsoft will work in XP with Modbus Plus and TCP/IP. You will need to have the 2000/XP MB+ drivers from Schneider. If your PLC is Modbus only the MB to TCP 174CEV30010 works quite well. and is fairly inexpensive.

That being said, time marches on and the upgrade to a later software package such as Concept or Proworx32 should be considered for support and compatibility reasons. Proworx32 even has the ability to emulate 984LL again (finally)

Darrell...

D

dan armstrong

you may want to look at running multiple operating systems. I have one from connectix called virtual pc.