How Can I set Webview in Cimplicity on NT Workstation?

Z

Zuo Zhihui

My Project is run on Windows NT Workstation 4, SP6, I want to set my Cim Webview on the PC. But I can't install IIS in NT Workstation, why? and how can I set Cim Webview on the NT Workstation?
Thanks!

E

Eric J. Feight

I believe you need NT Server to run IIS. As for WebView, when you install it as an option, it installs it’s own web server. In your configuration you have the choice of using Cimpliciy’s web server or IIS. Just choose “Use built-in Web server”. You also have to pick at least one page to “convert” to html. Your main screen is a good one. I’m not sure of the details of how this works. Once you create the first “page” all of your screen navigation works. My guess is that the “page” you create isn’t a html version of your screen, but some type of link to that screen that works thru your browser.

Your project needs to be running and you need to start the web server. These tasks, along with creating the web page can all be done thru the Cimplicity Options dialog box in the WebView tab. The first time a client connects the client side scripting component is downloaded and installed, so the first connection takes a while but after that it’s quick. You can set the web server to launch on start-up. You can also monitor the number of connections from here. It’s kind of cool.

I’ve done this a bunch of times on NT Workstation with Cimplicity 4.0 without any problems. The color resolution was not the best to say the least. I just noticed that 5.0 allows you to select your color resolution, maybe that issue has been resolved. I even set up a web server on a DSL link one weekend and was running a HMI application over the internet! (kids don’t try this at home!) I connected to the internet with a laptop and a 56k modem. Once I hit the site and had the project up on my laptop, set-point actions were almost instantaneous.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions getting this to work let me know: [email protected].

W

Walters Curt L Contr AEDC/SVT

I am not sure you can load IIS on anything except WINNT server. You might try loading PWS (Peer Web Services)which is the little brother of IIS and works on WINNT workstation and Windows 98.
Curt

F

Francus, West (IndSys, GEFanuc, Albany)

Eric Feight wrote:
>The color resolution was not the best to say the least.

this was enhanced in 4.0 sp6

http://www.gefanuc.com/support/cimplicity/knowledgebase/k-index.htm
search for "color webview"

A parameter has been added with SP6 that allows for 8, 16, and 24 bit depth bitmaps to be sent by the ProwlerServer. This parameter needs to be accessed from the WebPage to work however.

Go into your your webpages directory in CIMPLICITY. Open your html file in notepad and add the following line: "(Greaterthan sign)PARAM NAME="bitDepth" VALUE="#"(less than sign)" Where # is your choice of 8, 16, or 24.

West Francus

E

Eric J. Feight

Cool! Thanks for the info. I have a couple systems out there with SP9. I’ll give this a shot. I haven’t tried this in 5.0 yet but I noticed that you can set this in the Options dialog box. Maybe there is a move to giving us programmers a little more access to parameters without using IDTPOP and SCPOP all the time (which I have been discouraged to do by Cimplicity).

Any chance you might also know the trick to getting Crystal to work with HMI? I have my question posted above. That one seems to have everyone stumped.