How i can connect to an R.T.U. wich has a ethernet port

H

haze

hi,

i'm new on these things and i like to contact anybody who can manage modbus tcp connection. i got an R.T.U. and i wish to configure it i hope someone may help me, my doubt is the next: (it sounds really fool, but i rather ask than keep the doubt)

well...
how can i stablish a connection to a modbus tcp device, and then wich software do i need to configure this device, or how i can make work my rtu? anybody knows? i know most people here are genius, i think that's very easy so if anybody knows, please let me know.

best wishes,
haze

RTM (read the manual)

Where is the documentation for this unit?

Where is the vendor/manufacturer who supplied the RTU? The documentation spells out how one establishes communication with a device.

Although there is a generic Modbus Master software program, Modscan32, I can't imagine you need it to configure an RTU.

The manufacturer of the RTU either has cofiguration software, or the RTU might be a web based configuration, where you connect to it with a web browser over a network connection.

In any case, get the documentation and read it.

hi haze,

do you mean connect to PC or other RTU??

if to PC, you can use OPC Server like KEPWare to connect your RTU to PC via ethernet port. Please select the Ethernet driver then just enter your device address and communication setting, and you can connect as you wish.

With KEPWare, you can also connect to other application such as MMI or Scada or VB or etc.

i hope that will help you Haze.
Please give me your email, and i'll give a example case.

thanks,

best regards,
x-bata-13

Hi Haze,

It does not sound fool at all and we're not that genius to solve your problem if you don't tell us more details about it.

Pls read again, your Q: "how can i stablish a connection to a modbus tcp device, and then wich software do i need to configure this device, or how i can make work my rtu? anybody knows?"

So you wanna communicate with modbus tcp device which is your RTU, right?? But what should this RTU communicate with?? What is the type of the RTU??

J
Modbus is only a means to scan data from the RTU into a PLC or HMI software.

Modbus does not have a standard mechanism to configure an RTU, such as internal logic etc. To configure the RTU you need to use proprietary software from the RTU manufacturer.

If you are very lucky, the RTU could possibly be configured through a dumb terminal emulator such as the "HyperTerminal" in Windows. If the RTU supports this, the session usually starts when the device is powered on so
you need to connect it to a terminal, cycle the power, and see if something starts.

Check with manual or supplier.

Jonas Berge
SMAR
===========
[email protected]
www.smar.com
Learn fieldbus and Ethernet at your own pace: www.isa.org/fieldbuses
Learn OPC and automation software at your own pace: www.isa.org/autosoftware