How to be aware of the standard

I was wondering how you're getting hold of all the info in the standard, do you read it al at once or you go for specific part when working on it?

Any recommendation for me on how to be expert in standards e.g., IECa

Thank

My favorite quote from reading posts on Control.com for more than 20 years is:

"The great thing about standards is there are so many of them to choose from."

There are some standards that are so "large" that there are some people who only specialize in one section of the standard (ANSI, API, NFPA, etc.). There are some standards that are relatively small and many people who are experts in the entire standard.

Being able to read and understand standards is an art all unto itself. I find many standards to be very "loose" in that they don't really do much more than set a group of limits which aren't really more than recommendations. Other standards tend to be very, very tight and rigid.

The other thing about standards is that the reader (the "interpreter") decides the interpretation. I have been to many meetings where standards are discussed--sometimes in great detail--but in the end the standard was not fully "accepted" or implemented. Particularly large corporations very often choose to interpret standards to meet their own ... needs, or equipment.

You will often see statements like "meets or exceeds xxxxx.xxx.x" and that doesn't always mean it FULLY AND COMPLETELY complies with the standard to the letter. MODBUS is an excellent example. Many, most in my experience, all interpret the MODBUS standard to fit their own equipment. And when another manufacturer--with their own interpretation of the MODBUS standard--have to communicate via MODBUS to each other, all hell can break loose for the people in the control room trying to make MODBUS work.

A lot of money can be made by becoming an expert in one or more (sections of some) standard(s). But, I will suggest it takes years, and a LOT of reading. Some standards have to be purchased, and are not inexpensive. Many corporations have subscriptions for some standards making obtaining them and reading them easier.

Best of luck! This is my personal observation, and as such it might be biased and somewhat inapplicable to all situations and circumstances.

Again, "The great thing about standards is there are so many of them to choose from."

You have already received a good answer.
It's also important to practice applying the standard's requirements in real-world situations, which can include participating in relevant industry events and discussions, working on projects that involve the standard, and seeking out mentorship or training from experienced professionals.

Staying up-to-date with any revisions or updates to the standard is also crucial. ANSI, API, and NFPA all regularly update their standards to reflect changes in technology, industry best practices, and other factors. To stay current, you can check the organization's website or other relevant sources for updates, attend training sessions or seminars, and participate in industry organizations or working groups that are involved with the standard.