How to become professional engineer?

T

the2

I hold a Bachelor's degree in Engineering from China. Now I am working in Australia as an electrical engineer. How can I become a professional engineer in the USA? What tests should I take?

R
In the US, each state administers the Professional Engineering licensing for that state. In my case I am registered in Ohio and Arizona, each license requires a separate renewal and that I meet slightly different standards.

An example, AZ renewal is for a 3 year term at $42/yr.($126 for 3 years) while Ohio renews annually at $20/yr. I was initially licensed in Ohio so Arizona accepted that license (a legal term known as Comity).

In addition, a statement from the Ohio board that I had no complaints and was in good standing and a transcript from my University had to be submitted. No additional testing was required for Arizona.

Unless you already have a license that is recognized by a state, you would need to take their exams. These are given typically 2 times/year depending on the specific state. There are fees for the exam itself and application fees additionally that can run several hundred dollars.

For more info. contact:

NCEES at P.O. Box 1686, Clemson, S.C. 29633-1686 (study guides)
- or -
the National Society of Professional Engineers at:
http://www.nspe.org/index.html

It will take a while and you may need to jump through additional hoops not being a US Citizen. I'd plan on 2 years along with at least 2 trips to the US to take the exams. It won't be easy...

Russ

Thank you for your answer.

I went to the website you gave me. But to my surprise, some courses are out of electrical engineering scope, such as fluid mechanics, material properties, thermodynamics.

R
Yes, the first of the 2 exams (Fundamentals of Engineering) covers all disciplines of the engineering field. The second test (Principles and Practice of Engineering) is discipline specific. As you are already practicing, you may have the experience requirement met (with proper documentation submitted to the state board with whom you choose to be registered). There may not be a required delay between the tests but that is decided by the board after reviewing what you submit.

Dust off your old textbooks and study for the first exam. I would invest in a CD-ROM study guide such as the FE Exam Prep: General Study Guide and CD-ROM Review that is offered by the NSPE (note that I am not endorsing this particular course, it is one of many offered by different organizations) to prepare.

It does take a significant amount of effort to get licensed when you are not in the US so be sure that you know where you are heading concerning licensure before spending the time and effort required.

Regards,
Russ