How to choose and buy a used PLC

B

Ben_O

Hi All,

I'd like to buy a used PLC (preferably Allen Bradley) together with its programming software.

I'm an entry level Ladder Logic programmer and I'd like to train myself on a real working system.

I have $300-500 budget for this, may be a little more.

I am thinking of AB PLC 5 or SLC500 series together with RxLogix s/w.

Can anybody guide me on which model AB PLC I should be targeting, how to choose and where I should buy?

Thanks in advance!

C

Curt Wuollet

Hi Ben

If you've got that much money and a Windows machine you can get a Micrologix and the programming software brand new and free and clear of the license infelicities that often plague used software. I wanted to do this, but got hung up on the Windows part. It would have cost me more than the Rockwell/AB stuff. I'm sure someone can point you at the URL if the special offer still stands.

Regards

cww

S

ScienceOfficer

Ben---

EBay has a random selection of used Allen-Bradley components, and a few of my friends have acquired some remarkable deals. The going rate seems to be about half of the street price for new Allen-Bradley parts. If you know exactly what you want, I have to recommend EBay.

If you want a deterministic way to get into the A-B universe, I recommend the MicroLogix Starter Kit. You have to buy a 1761-L10BXB MicroLogix1000 controller and a 1761-CBLPM02 cable ($99 and $55 list price respectively), then download the free RSLogix500 Starter software by following the instructions at http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/applications/kb/RAKB.nsf/0/58E900B761 C1378585256C4B0079D566?OpenDocument

Hope this helps!

Larry Lawver Rexel/ Central Florida

You can purchase a 10 point (6in/4out) Micrologix 1000 unit in the $100-180 (USD) range from a Rockwell distributor. There is available a RSLogix500 package that only features the 10 point Micrologix. It is available as a free download.

I would think your best bet to find both a PLC and the software you're looking for, would be spend some time on ebay. Although I'm not certain what the legal concerns for reselling are.

One alternative might be to try out some of the PLC simulator software out there. A couple of quick internet searches will land you links to many simulators out there. Some even have schematics you can download and build an interface for.

http://www.thelearningpit.com/lp/logixpro.html This one is very similar to the Rockwell software for the Allen Bradley PLCs. I believe there is still a trial version available for download.

L

Lynn at Alist

I know a couple of integrators who've stocked a whole "demo room" with
stuff they buy on common ebay! I haven't ever used it, but keep in mind
what you are getting likely is old firmware revisions and AB (& most)
charge money to update firmware. So you may get a PLC5E, but perhaps it
won't talk to ControlLogix because that is something added in newer
firmware.

- LynnL

J

Jesper M. Pedersen

If you can afford it, I recommend that you get an SLC5/03 (with rack, PSU and some I/O) rather than a Micrologix.

Why ?

Because the SLC5/03 has online programming.
The Micrologix will force you to download and reestablish settings etc. every time you make even the smallest change.
Online programming is such an advantage that it is worth paying for. You wont regret it.