How to Communicate with Allen Bradley 1394 GMC turbo

• Thread starter Muhammad Zeeshan Qureshi
  • Start date
M

Muhammad Zeeshan Qureshi

Hello,

How can i communicate with Allen Bradley 1394 GMC turbo system. I need to make the backup of the program. There is a serial port and some dip switches for serial port config. i tried almost all steps but unable to communicate my PG to it. GML commander version is 4.0.3. Please help me out in this.

Your response will be highly appreciated!

I
Dear Muhammad,

For you to be able to upload existing program from Allen-Bradley 1394 GMC Motion Control System, one should use serial computer port (COM1 or COM or COM3 or COM4, depending on the system properties port setting defined on the GML Commander) connected to Serial Port A of controller using RS-232C cable. Also, you should stop the existing program execution before try to upload.

GML comamnder designed for Windows 95 or Windows NT, WIndows 98 or Windows 2000 or WIndows XP 32 will work also, but I'm not sure for Win 7 or Win 8 (32 or 64).

Which portion of program you will be able to upload depending on UPLOAD OPTION from existing program, there will be there options: all, program only, or cam point only.

For DIP switch (SW1-SW6) make sure the Serial port A configured as RS-232

Please refer to below links for your reference:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/gmlc-rm002_-en-p.pdf

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1394-um000_-en-p.pdf

Hope this help

M

Muhammad Zeeshan Qureshi

Thank you for your response. Actually I am a beginner of Allen Bradley and GMC Turbo. I set the correct DIP switches but unable to connect with the command. I have an MPI port in my PG through which i communicate with the SLC 5/05 as it has a RS232 port in it to communicate. But when i used the same cable to communicate with GMC it just not establish its link, and its not give an error or something. it just try to establishing the connection. As you know before connect to SLC we have to use RS Linx to communicate. My question is, Is there a process too to communicate with the GMC like SLC 5/05? I want to know that process and I will be grateful if you send the screen shots of the communication steps?

Waiting for your Reply!

Hi

Are you still having problems connecting to 1394 digital Servo drive? The reason for my asking is that I see this question was posted about 4 months ago. May be you have gotten a solution already. If not, let me know so I can help you, I'll include screen shots in the procedure.

cheers
Tinashe.

Have you tried a null modem serial cable? Having 2 serial cables in series will convert the cable to a null modem. The receive and transmit signals are not swapped in this cable, so this may be your ticket.

Hi Are you still having problems connecting to 1394 digital Servo drive? The reason for my asking is that I see this question was posted about 4 months ago. May be you have gotten a solution already. If not, let me know so I can help you, I'll include screen shots in the procedure. cheers Tinashe.
hi every body. I can connect to controller but I can't download and upload program. upload and download icons are not active. How can I active upload and download icons? also you can see "ONLIN-NORMAL" on toolbar.

Hi

Are you still having problems connecting to 1394 digital Servo drive? The reason for my asking is that I see this question was posted about 4 months ago. May be you have gotten a solution already. If not, let me know so I can help you, I'll include screen shots in the procedure.

cheers
Tinashe.
Can you help me that how I can upload program though GML commander?