How to connect a Quantum to RSView

J

John Kelley

Here's the project: A plant has a whole network of AB PLCs on ethernet and connected to RSView for SCADA purposes.

There is a single Modicon Quantum on the plant E-Net via a NOE 711-00. This connection is currently used for maintenance purposes only using Concept 2.1.

The client wants to gather basic operating info from the Quantum and have it available through the RSView SCADA.

What is required to do this? All of my experience has been in either talking to AB devices or via OPC/DDE for Microsoft Office clients. Do you use a OPC driver and then point RSLinx at it or what... I'm confused and there seems to be little info out there for this particular application.

Any help, suggestions about vendors, etc, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John Kelley

Y

Yosef Feigenbaum

Hi John,

You can go one of several routes.

1) Get an OPC server that talks Modbus/IP. There are loads of these out there so I won't recommend a particular one.

2) Connect the Quantum to one of the PLCs and read the data from that PLC. You can use one of several Prosoft products for this (find them at: www.prosoft-technology.com)

3) Use a gateway to connect the Quantum to the A-B communications network. Prosoft has some solutions there too.

Good Luck,

(8{)} :) .)

There are basically two options available.

Option 1: Use a modbus tcp/ip opc server than rsview can communicate to.

Option 2: install a prosoft module that speaks the special AB ethernet IP protocol into the quantum backplane. You will need a current version of concept V2.6 to do this.

C
John,

I just tested the RSView product with the Kepware server and it works great. Our test was on the NOE 711-10.

Regards,

Chris Keith

R
I Think Rockwell actually sells a version of the Kepware KEPServerEX product with RSView. Check with you AB/Rockwell rep. I think you can buy this all on one rec from your local AB outlet. The package includes Modbus connectivity.