How to control Swiming Pool motor w/ Home PC ?

J

Jim Holstein

I have an indoor-outdoor swimming pool. Presently the pool motor is on a 7 x 24 mechanical timer. I need the motor to turn on to prevent freezing of the water-lines to the filter-heater.

What type of equipment/software would plug into my home PC [W2000] that would (1) sense outside temperature (2) activate a 110v 15a relay.

Here is a link to photos of the backyard year-round swimming pool setup

http://communities.msn.com/JimGailHolstein/swimmingpoolcover.msnw

Cool pool

We will be offering a pipe soon that has internal sensors and turns on only if it senses freeze and it only comes on at the point of the freeze. It's main application will be for cottage water systems as full water purification systems seem to be more popular than wells.

This may be better than running a pump or bubbler system. Watch for it at www.brandylake.com

If you want to stay with the pump - look at the X10 home automation stuff. You would want a ground temperature sensor - not air - I think.

Thanks Bob Hogg
www.almegcontrols.com

> I have an indoor-outdoor swimming pool. Presently the pool motor is on a 7 x 24 mechanical timer. I need the motor to turn on to prevent freezing of the water-lines to the filter-heater.
>
> What type of equipment/software would plug into my home PC [W2000] that would (1) sense outside temperature (2) activate a 110v 15a relay.
>
> Here is a link to photos of the backyard year-round swimming pool setup
>
> http://communities.msn.com/JimGailHolstein/swimmingpoolcover.msnw

S

Steven Landau

Don't use a PC. Chec A temperature switch will work fine. You can get a TS with contacts sturdy enough to control the 15A directly..

If you want to get more sophisitocated, you can use the Mitsubishi ALPHA plc. Very small and has analog inputs for your temps.

S. Landau

W

Walter Bevilacqua

I agree use the "K.I.S.S" Method. A line voltage stat, like used for baseboard electric heat will work fine. Although, if you must get your PC involved, use a stat and a X10 contact switch with IBM home director software. www.smarthome.com....