How to emulate synchronisation of a power generator to the busbar

S

shroffsp

We are trying to develop an Electrical Control System. The main function of this system is to manage the power sources and manage the loads.

It is going to be a risky exercise to test the power generator synchronisation with the actual power generators and hence to derisk this we are trying to develop an power generator emulator (a hardware + software solution) which can interface one is to one with the actual control system.

To emulate the power generation situation we are intending to use the 2 VFDs as power sources (generators)

We intend to supply a single phase supply to one of the VFD and set its Frequency at 50 Hz (by giving an external control signal). This VFD will generate a 3 ph out which we will say as the busbar supply.

We intend to supply a single phase supply to the other VFD and generate the 3 phase output from it. We will say this supply as generator-1 supply. By giving an external control signal we shall increase the frequency of this generator. When the both the frequencies and phases will match, we intend to close the breaker of this VFD so that this generator also gets connected to the busbar.

Basically I want to emulate the synchronisation of a power generator to the busbar.

I am planning to connect a resistive and inductive load bank for loading the busbar. As this is an emulation system my requirement of load is about 2 Amps (1 amp for resistive load and 1 amp for inductive)

My questions are -
1) Will this concept work?

2) Can I safely use VFDs the as a 'power generator'or as a sources of power? If not, Is there any other better alternative than this for the requirements that we have?

3) Can anybody suggest me any low cost VFD's which can suffice this kind of a need?

4) If any of the VFD supplier is interested in getting associated with this project then please get in touch with me. I am based out of Pune, India and my contact no is 9922573482

Thanks & Regards

You may also use a small synchronous motor. You can connect its shaft to an AC motor, driven by a VFD; or a DC motor with appropriate speed control. A driven synchronous motor, with a controlled field, acts as a synchronous generator, which may be paralleled to a bus or another generator. May be worth investigating.