HPGL file to X-Y Motion

• Thread starter Kelly McFarland
  • Start date
D

Daniel Christadoss Newcor

One has to be innovative
1. Why use a ball screw when you can use a timing belt

2. A speed of 1 to 2 inches a second is definitely not high speed by any standards

3. Did you know that you could make a cheap vacuum holding device with compressed air available in every shop without additional investment

4. Have you used indexer LPT with an old 486 and parallel ports?

5. Generally when a client has a small budget, we can achieve the goal but using clients labor to assemble, generally these dont get costed.

I think the original question was looking for innovative answers and not pessimistic notions or myths. Manufactutres have long spent a lot of time
keeping their prices high but there are very smart people out there constantly proving them wrong.

I am not trying to decry anybody but am only trying to share information to enable people to pursue their dreams.

Nothing is impossible, a client can always find somebody who meets his budget

And dont forget you could even move the 8'X4' plywood like they moved paper in the old pen plotters

Dan Christadoss

R
HPGL files are very simple, any modern positioner would be capable of implementing their primitives which are simple co-ordinates, vectors, and compound movements. The format is well documented and in ASCII, so it would only require a simple filter to convert these movements into a axis controllers equivalent commands.

IMHO, a simple script based routine on a PC could pre-convert the file into that required by the positioner, doing it yourself would give you
full control over the problems of little quirks.

D

Darren Tichbourne

So true Rick, sequence , sequence , sequence.
X-Y motion and how to achieve it, is one thing. But to actually come away with a machine that works is another. A way back when in the 'machinists world' G code and other machine codes were developed to consider cutting tool pathes and sequence. Once you rev-up a carbide cutter to 10,000 + rpm powered by a several horse power industrial motor you want to be sure of where the cutting head will fly next <grin> I missed the beginning of this X-Y string of messages and not sure exactly what the app. is. But careful
consideration must be given to finish up with a 'safe machine' .

Sincerely,

Darren Tichbourne
President, System Integrator, CET
CompuSys Solutions

M
> As usual, I have been very pleased with the "list" response. I have received several emails and one phone call on this and it seems this is a popular project for a variety of businesses. Lots of applications and data out there. At least three companies are offering the electronics

> and driver software below the $5000 dollar mark. One company is offering a package with steppers for substantially less than this. As you imply,

If your company is torchmate, be aware that the assembly time is significant, and there is low customer satisfaction.

> I am a slightly skeptical about the ease of implementation and use of these systems and want to review additional information. My client is basically a "mom and pop" operation with little or no CAD/CAM experience.

> They are able to build the table and gantry. However, they are looking for a"package" for the motion and CAD side.

I dont know about routering but there is a kit table.. only simple mechanical assembly required available from plasmacam inc. The software imports hpgs, dxfs, bitmaps, csv files.. etc...
the table has 4X4 cut area, and is used for plasma torches, but its a 2 1/2 axis machine, and might be modifiable to what you are looking for. It is either within, or very close to your price budget.

G
Our company makes CNC controls, and can provide motion controller and motors for the 4 x 8 woodworking router application. We have had many of them in the field working for years. They are compatible with Cadlink ProfileLAB tool path generating software. Visit www.tommotek.com and www.cadlink.com Greg Thomson Tommotek Perth, Western Australia

Hello kelly:

We have made a complete system which can accept HPGL file to X-Y Motion consisting of a two axis controller (PC card),two drives, motors, cables, actuators (not including PC). Cost varies according to motor style. Our system works well in X-Y laser cutting machines. Let me know your thoughts.

eesrp
[email protected]

hello!!
We are dealing with controllers which accepts hpgl,dxf,g-code format. We have supplied automation solutions to many industries from concept to commissioning. We can provide a drawing nc software where you can just draw your object & ask the motion controller to follow it.
visit us at www.inteltekindia.com
mail to [email protected]