I need clarifications regarding Honeywell UOC controller as DCS.

Honeywell claims that the UOC controller is used as a compact DCS solution. I have few questions regarding the UOC controller:
1) Does the UOC based system consists of redundant communication throughout the system i.e from HMI to Server to Controller to IO Modules?
2) How does UOC compare with Yokogawa's Centum VP( in terms of scan times, performance etc)?
3) What are the disadvantages of the UOC based DCS?
4) What are the problems faced if UOC is used for a continous process?
5) Is there any single point communication failure in the UOC system?

I sat through a sales presentation about 6-8 months ago on UOC. Here's my recollection on it.

I would categorize the UOC as a mid-level DCS, easily equivalent to Emerson's Delta-V - both use rack mount I/O.

1. Redundant Comm?

Honeywell's Fault Tolerant Ethernet (FTE), is quadruple redundant, either ring or star topology. It's really in its own class for comm redundancy.

When I looked at the UOC, the UOC supported redundant (Fault-tolerant) Ethernet, redundant power supplies, redundant UOC controllers but did not support redundant I/O. The statement was made that redundant was in the works and since then the same I/O module has been released as redundant I/O in the same/common platform that Honeywell uses for its PLC. So I suspect that redundant I/O is near term for the UOC, awaiting engineering testing.

And UOC controller has been certified for ISA level 2 Ethernet security.

2. Yokogawa Centrum?
I can't say, I know nothing of Centrum VP.

3. UOC as a DCS?

With S88, it is definitely a DCS for batch.

Honeywell's next step up is the C300 controller - the slanty box that needs 'special' panel mounting and needs fiber optic for I/O connections greater than 5m distance. But if you need it, you need it.

UOC and the C300 controllers share
- the same development software suite. Software development suite integrates the HMI software part with the control software part.
- the same server architecture,
- the same fault tolerant ethernet

UOC controller has been certified for ISA level 2 security ( Ethernet security ). Worthy of respect in an era of cybercrime.

LX software and UOC hardware are available through distribution and system integrators, like Delta V. Higher end DCS (Experion PKS) is only available through Honeywell's systems group. To me that means over time, there's likely to be more options on who supports it.

C300 has greater I/O capacity but I don't know what that is. C300 supports on-line server software upgrades. UOC does not (off-line upgrades). Upgrades are annual or 18 month events and a licensed upgrades.

4. Continous Process
I do not know whether the redundant I/O situation has changed from 6 months ago. UOC does offer redundant processors, redundant power supplies, Fault tolerant Ethernet, redundant server capability, and what Honeywell calls "Direct station" functionality where the HMI's talk directly to the controller even if the server is unavailable.

Server softare upgrades have to executed off-line.

5. Single point comm failure?

With Honeywell's Fault Tolerant Ethernet (and it is a mature technology, it did not come out yesterday) and redundancy, not that I know off.

I'm sure Honeywell can help you out with more specifics than I can.

ARM

Hi,
Thank you for your detailed answer.
I think the CEE also offers continuous control along with batch control. Honeywell confirms it.