I/O and Instrument List Development

I was curious to know if anyone has a preferred program or most efficient means of creating instrument lists and IO lists? For those using Plant 3D, are you using the Report Creator? Is there a means of creating IO list or instrument schedules using Revit? I can't seem to find anything that isn't basically using Excel as the main means of importing a list onto drawings. There's a lot of means of human error when it comes to making these lists so I am open to any suggestions or software that would help in developing these lists.

Appreciate any help!

Thanks

Historically Excel has been your hinge-pin that most useful data wrapped around. Not used Plant 3D or revit, but there was never anything other than the flexibility of Excel.

To a hardware designer, an I/O list should have links to drawing No's and BOM's (bill of materials),
to a software designer , an I/O list should have references to raw values, engineering units and tagged labeling / 'descriptors'.

Put all the information on one sheet; you can import / export what you want and disregard or erase what you don't want.
Before Excel came along we used text files using the 'Tab' function as separator - which in hindsight was a good idea; but the engineers were then, hardware, software and CAD !

We are using Aveva 3D Instrumentation Engineer. It helps to create the list of instruments but it still required from us to make add-in to create a proper I/O list. And it doesn't have possibility to add electrical I/O. But may be they made something in new version of Aveva Engineering.