Ice Thickness Sensor

A

Anonymous

I need a sensor that will measure Ice Thickness from 0 to 50 mm... does anyone know any manufacturer who manufactures this? I guess the sensor will be basically capacitive type...?

R

Richard Fortescue

Hi, tell me more! Do you have access to both sides of the ice, and where is it/what is the process. My guess is that capacitative is not suitable. I make gamma and X-ray gauges, an expensive way to do the job, but could be the best option?

Hello,

Try to solve the problem with a custom-made (simple PCB, interdigit structure) capacitive sensor. The diameter of the active area must be the same range with the max. ice thickness. If there is water on the another side of the ice, the sensitivity will increase significantly.

szilagyi

C

Curt Wuollet

You might try looking for an ultrasonic (sonar) device, should work with either water or air on the other side.

Regards

cww

M

Matthew Hyatt

a low range ultra-sound or radar type would be great. I use to know of some ultra-sound thickness measuring devices, worked prestty good to about 8" to 10", this was 15 years ago.

A capacitive probe type will work, but once froen in place is hard to remove. Just calibrate in water, the ice will give a different cap. response. (the capacitance is measured bewteen the two rods the rods are usually about 1 to 2" apart). You could try to make your own, but it would be time consuming.

A home made 20 to 30Mhz generator with reciver might work also. Basically your looking ata TDR type function here, the discontinuity between the ice and water will show up as a break or can be seen as a different loss or propogation of the RF energy.

IF your interested drop me a note offline, I might be able to help you out with a design.

[email protected]
Technical Consultants

G

Gerald Beaudoin

We had an application that detected the presence of ice of about 50 mm. with a simple refrigeration type probe designed for ice banks and chillers. Reliably detects the presence of whatever thickness of ice but certainly does not give an analog signal... strictly on or off.

Guess it all depends on what kind of resolution and precision you need.

S

Sheena Noseworthy

Hi! I am a level III student from Newfoundland who has to develop a project as a part of a course curriculum. Our group has decided on developing a simple ice thickness meter that incorporates an integrated system. The integrated system includes visual basic programming, PC gadget master interface, and sensors. We are wondering what sensors would be most applicable to this idea.
We thought this idea was practical since in winter many of the frozen bodies of water are paths that people cross on skidoos. A simple hand held ice thicjness meter would make eliminate guessing and improve safety.