Iconics Graphworks and runtime

B

Brian Seal

I am using Iconics Graphworks with a celeron 800 mhz PC with windows 98 as the operating system, and the AB pktx card The PLC is a AB SLC/504. The problem I am having is that when I try to go into runtime I get a message saying that this programhas committed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If I cancel out of that the program will usually work properly for a couple of minutes then the message comes back. If I cancel out again and wait for a few minutes it somtimes comes back on its own. While it is not working if I hold the cursor on a tag it says: bad quality -communications failure or last known value. If anyone can help me with this I would really appreciate it.

It looks some gear is losing the pace in the system. Quite common after upgrading for faster systems. You ought to try AB specially if all components are AB.

GraphWorX32 v6.0 does not crash by itself. To verify this you should start GWX and then immediately go to runtime without any OPC Tags (nor activex controls nor VBA scripts) in your startup display. If you agree to this we can assume that the OS or OPC server is playing a role here. The OS in your case in Win98. I would at least upgrade this to Win98 2nd Edition. (Even better choices would be NT or Win2000). Now that the OS should be doing its job, you should check if all virus scanners or possible other 3rd party programs are disabled. Before we suspect the OPC Server we should check the proper functioning of the AB card. (IRQ conflicts, etc). Please try to get some live data through the card using some of the AB test tools. If the card works you should check the manufacturer of the OPC Server. Servers created with the ICONICS toolkit follow the OPC DA 2.0 standard and should work out of the box. In case the server was not created with ICONICS tools you should have the following option: Start DataWorX32 and set the "Tools, OPC Setting..." to "Use OPC 1.0 Interfaces Only" and exit DataworX32 again. This way you explicity tell GENESIS32 v6.0 to talk the old v1.0 OPC language. Regards ICONICS Raymond > I am using Iconics Graphworks with a celeron 800 mhz PC with windows 98 as the operating system, and the AB pktx card > The PLC is a AB SLC/504. > > The problem I am having is that when I try to go into runtime I get a message saying that this programhas committed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If I cancel out of that the program will usually work properly for a couple of minutes then the message comes back. If I cancel out again and wait for a few minutes it somtimes comes back on its own. > While it is not working if I hold the cursor on a tag it says: bad quality -communications failure or last known value. > > If anyone can help me with this I would really appreciate it. >

M
Brian: Sounds like you are using GEN32s GraphWorx32, If you are getting bad Quality bits shown, you may be having problems with your OPC Server try the Iconics or anyone's test OPC client. If the Test client has an error then you must look at the OPC server , is it RSLINX ?? Try working from the OPC server on up Good Luck Mark Massa BCS

B
The problem turned out to be that when tech support E-mailed me the updated version of the OPC server and when I un-zipped it I used an older version of win zip than they used to zip it and it somehow corrupted something in the server. I tried it with the latest version of win zip and everything is working fine.