Implementing a MODBUS slave node

J

John Wetzork

My company wants to develop a sensor that communicates over the MODBUS as a slave device. We wish to use the MODBUS/RTU protocol with an RS-485 hardware interface.

Our sensor will use an embedded microcontroller. To speed up the development cycle we are looking to purchase or license software that will implement the MODBUS communication. We would prefer C source code since that is the language we are writing the source code in. We are not using a Real Time Operating System in our device.

Does anyone know of available source code? We are new to MODBUS, so any information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

John Wetzork
Kidde Dual Spectrum
email: [email protected]

C

Charlie Peterson

Hello John,

I understand that you are looking to implement Modbus into your product. We have a very unique solution that I would like to tell you about.

The ProtoCessor family of coprocessors will allow you to rapidly develop and implement Modbus into your product with out having to implement Modbus into your host processor. We handle all the network communications.

In order to implement our solution, you need to do 2 things:

1. Implement a simple driver of ours into your firmware (we include the source code). This driver allows your controller to speak Modbus or any other industrial protocols that our modules support. It takes about 1 day to implement this driver. Once it is implemented into your hardware, our ProtoCessor modules do all the bridging and translating between the protocols.

2. The ProtoCessor uses a common TTL interface and the same socket connections are used for all our products. All you need to do is lay out our foot print on your board. This gives you the ability to interchange between serial (RS232/485) and Ethernet modules which are all pin and
software compatible with each other.

If you decide to start with the Modbus RTU and later you decide to implement Ethernet into your product (Modbus TCPIP), it is very simple to change. It requires no firmware changes on you host processor. All you need to do is change the Serial module out for the Ethernet module
and you are up and running. This is true if you decide to move to another different protocol-no changes to your firmware.

I look forward to hearing from you.

For further information, please visit our web site http://www.ProtoCessor.com or contact me at 800-317-8317.

Thank you,

Charlie

Charlie Peterson
Director of Embedded Products
ProtoCessor
1254 Hill Rd.
Littleton, MA. 01460
www.ProtoCessor.com
[email protected]
800-317-8319
Cell 978-339-3445