In DCS, difference between peer to peer and clients-server?

K

Kim

Hi.

I'm control & instrument engineer in an EPC company. I'm asking what's main difference between peer to peer and client-serve network in DCS system. Also, what is the advantage and disadvantage of each network?
I know the basic knowledge about two fundamental difference. But, applying this to DCS, it's quite complicating, especially in case server fails, clients (operator workstations) go blind and can not work? Of course, in this aspect, p2p is safer coz there is no server. But, surely p2p has weak point compared to client-server. What would it be then?

As far as I know, Honeywell, Simense are clients-server based and Emerson, Yokogawa are peer to peer based architecture.

Y

Y.K.JARIWALA

Hi Kim

What are the week points of P2P Network ?

Please note that operators uses technology only for guidance & would like to avoid any dependency whatsoever on technology only.

We have used Honeywell C300 product with 1 Server only for storage of History / Reports & Database. The workstation software we have used - console type. In this architecture, if Server fails all the data is available in Realtime mode like Alarms, Realtime trends etc [ doubt about reports ].

Siemens do have p2p architecture also, with the architecture defined above.

Old DCS system followed only P2P, STORAGE SYSTEM with Global Database management & this was highly reliable products/architecture. According to us very few DCS come close to this concept now.

Client/sever mode as we understand is server with workstation [TERMINAL MODE WITH GRAPHICS].

Other objective of client/server is only cost reduction.

Our main objective is production only, any additional objectives are bonus only. but as a consultant we concentrate only on production not
on bonus.

Regards

Jari
[email protected]