Inductive loads

P

Patrick Levinson

Hello, could somebody out there refresh my memory (or show me where to refresh it via web) about protections against inductive loads in PLC digital output modules?
I recall the diode for relay outputs to 24 VDC
solenoids, but don't remember/find recommendations for protection of relay outputs and/or triac outputs in 110 solenoids... I seem to remember MOVs for triacs?
for relays? Thanks in advance...Pat

When an ac coil breaks down ie. when the output turns off the coil kicks back a voltage spike (Inductive Kickback). This can kill relay outputs and triac outputs. Most people us a MOV(Metal Oxide Varistor) across the output. You can get them off the shelf from AB. Put the MOV as close to the load as possible.

gmanout

D

Dean Kindrai

Check any of the major PLC manufacturer's websites. They'll give you recommended circuit diagrams...

B
MOV's work well, I think. I also see people using snubbers with RC networks. I do not know which is best to apply to a given situation.

I'm sure someone can fill us in.

Bill Sturm

A

Al Pawlowski

If I am not mistaken, Metal Oxide Varistors change characteristics over repeated operation and are therefore not a good choice for ac snubbing. They are better suited for short-term, gross overvoltage protection. I would recommend, and use myself, RC (resistor & capacitor in series) snubbers. They are available in two lead packages expressly for relay contact protection.

D

Dan Lewandowski

I recommend automationdirect.com, their manuals are online and excellent, actually enjoyable to read.

> Check any of the major PLC manufacturer's websites. They'll give you recommended circuit diagrams...

H

Hakan Ozevin

Always use RC+varistors instead of RC or varistor only. It will cost almost nothing extra and will prevent lots of problems.

++++++++++++
Hakan Ozevin