Industrial Computer Companies

E

Eng. Juan Gomez

Dear friends.

We have bought several industrial computers (hmi) for assembly in rack system, but we want to look for new suppliers, if some has a list of companies that manufacture these PC´s please let send me the name/web site of these companies.

thank you
Eng. Juan Ignacio Gómez

It depends on what you're looking for, whether they need to be rated for harsh environments, or if the main criteria is being rack-mountable. For rack-mount in a clean environment, check into IBM or DELL's servers. They differ from normal PC's in that they typically don't have sound cards or sometimes parallel ports, but they are built to be rack-mounted and can use as little as 1U (1.75") of rack space. We've used a couple dozen IBM x300 servers this year, they have dual on-board ethernet, 1 serial port, no parallel, PIII based. Without the usual bells and whistles, they are also competitively priced.

Don Zunti, P.Eng.
Delco Automation Canada

Juan,
On a slightly different tack, we have used ITRONIX ( "ITRONIX.COM":http://www.itronix.com ) portables, which are ruggedized PC's which are truly portable. Really nice for wireless locations!! and being intrinsicly safe rated comes in handy in the refinery, With an approved portable enclosure, you literally could use it anywhere if you can dump the heat. For certain applications it may be perfect, and if dumping the heat from a sealed case is getting to use, try the silicon free "Arctic Silver III" for about the best way to move the heat out of any box, without contamination everything with silicon....Dont get me wrong, Regular FF stations are great too, but every single station I have seen was installed in some protected to some degree locations....you don't want a truck rolling over one, or a failed sprinkler head or pump taking one out.