Industrial energy savings

A

ALVARO RODRIGUEZ

Hello all:

Any help on products, services, practices, etc that will mean more efficient use of energy on industrial applications will be greatly appreciated.

ALVARO RODRIGUEZ
BOGOTA, COLOMBIA

J

Justin Carroll

One of the biggest ways I have saved energy is by doing power factor correction. Write back for more information.

Justin Carroll

T

Thomas Allen

This may seem simple but if you're shop uses compressed air, air leaks are a huge source of wasted energy.

J

James Bouchard

Power factor correction is not a major energy saver, it does however reduce your electricity bill ( in some cases substantially ) and may either free up capacity or allow you to use smaller equipment.

James Bouchard

A
You should look into a control system. There can be energy savings cutting peak loads. This can be done automatically by controlling your equipment and measuring energy consumption. If you would like more information contact me. I have a web-based solution that may be able to help you, if I can get a little more information. Contact me at [email protected].

A

August Tassin

You may want to investigate the use of Variable Speed Drives instead of throteling valves on larger motors.
Good luck.

August Tassin
Louisiana

J
How big a power bill are we talking about?
If your talking about a paper mill or textile factory, one way is to become an "auto-producer" or self generator of electricity. It helps if you have a big steam load as well.
You install your own power generation system using large diesels or gas turbines to generate electricity and using exhaust gas heat for steam boilers. Then you sell the surplus electricity to the national grid. This is called TPA or third party access. In some countries this is a lot easier than in others depending on local regulations but it is getting very popular. You can usually buy the complete package from engine manufacturers. I'm not sure of the exact figures but a large diesel engine becomes something like 80% efficient or better when used for CHP.
If you are already generating electricity this way or using large amounts of steam raised from heavy fuel oil heated boilers then in all probabilty you are using temperature to control your fuel oil heating (because of fuel oil quality). You should consider changing to controlling the fuel pre-heaters using viscosity measurement. Not only does this save you money it helps cut back on pollution and enhances your on stream factor.