Industrial Ethernet - Is there a standard connector?

F

Fernando Gomes

I want to know if there is a standard connector used in industrial ethernet networks. I know that Siemens use a D type connector (9 pin, like the serial port), but I'm interested in knowing if there are other connectors used with industrial ethernet Thanks in advance Fernando Gomes

R

Rob Hulsebos

> I want to know if there is a >standard connector used in industrial >ethernet networks. I know that Siemens >use a D type connector (9 pin, Well that is a standard in its own! >like the serial port), but I'm interested >in knowing if there are other connectors >used with industrial ethernet There is no standard. But there are industrial connectors from Anixter, Woodhead and Lumberg. Rob Hulsebos

Most PLCs either use the RJ-45 phone-plug type connectors or fiber optic. Some vendors have decided to go with the 15-pin AUI port which looks like a 9 pin serial only larger. The advantage to an AUI port is you can attach any available ethernet transceiver to it. From Black Box or pcconnection.com or others you can get transceivers to hook up coaxial ethernet cables, twisted pair, fiber optic, etc. If there was a standard, I would say the AUI and RJ45 are the most prevalent.

CK

There is a company called InterlinkBT that makes some Ethernet connectors and cables. There are some organized efforts for coming up with a standardized connector for Ethernet. InterlinkBT has designed a connector that is very rugged. www.interlinkbt.com

M

Michael Griffin

Woodhead has one which looks like a standard RJ-45 ethernet connector inside a circular plug housing approximately 20 - 25mm in diameter. They've given the product what seems to be the completely unpronouncable name of "RJ-Lnxx". They show pictures of it being mounted in standard conduit fittings, so it looks fairly easy to install. I have looked it over, but I haven't used any yet myself. I haven't seen anything similar elsewhere yet. As for "standard", so far there seems to be as many industrial ethernet "standards" as there are companies selling it. There may as well be lots of different connectors, since even if you were able to plug things from different companies together, they probably wouldn't talk to each other anyway. ********************** Michael Griffin London, Ont. Canada [email protected] **********************

H

Hullsiek, William

One technique that I have used in the past, is it to use a Thinwire connector between the PLC, and the local HMI. Then bring it into a ThinNet/10-BaseT or ThinNet/10Base-FL repeater to go onto the backbone. The ThinNet adapter though dated, locks better and provides a more solid connection. Only runs at 10 Mbps, but that was good enough for most apps. It also is a passive connection, so you have a higher MTBF over an office-grade hub. It is also cheaper than an industrial hub. Chief limitation is that it is limited to about 30 feet. Belden cabling had an industrial connector (working with AMP I think), that addressed the typical problems with ThinNet. (I left the datasheets at my old position). However, BNC adapters are dated, and not very common place these days. Maybe call it e-BNC or e-ThinNet, to make it sound contemporary. - Bill Hullsiek