Industrial Wireless in Zone 2

W

wireless sales

I am sizing an industrial wireless modem where distance apart is 1 km and area is Zone 2 classified. I am using Elpro modem which is Class 1, Div 2 certified (acceptable here like Zone 2). But I can't manage to get a Zone 2 certified antenna.

My question is, does the antenna need to be certified as C1, D2 (Zone2) or do we not need an antenna as simple apparatus?

As for the coaxial cables - do we need those armoured/braided/fire retardant type of hazardous area cables?

Thanks.

As Elpro are now part of our Group, I forwarded your question to them and this is their reply

>>
You'd have to look at the local specifications for Class 1 Div 2 rated environments to see exactly what you will be dealing with.

The regulations of the hazardous zone rating means that any device within that zone needs to be have the appropriate rating, so this usually means the either all the devices and associated items are rated and/or the devices are caged within a suitably-rated enclosure.

Antennas are often enclosed within a suitable RF-Transparent enclosure because of the way RF energy can exceed the specifications and requirements dictated for the hazardous zone rating.

Any cabling (power, I/O data, antenna leads, etc) would then also be enclosed within suitable conduit or ducting and/or be rated to for use unshielded within that hazardous zone. >>

If you have other questions, please email them at [email protected]

Steve
www.mtl-group.com

The antenna is a passive device - no electronics. It does not need certification.

Cabling must be certified for Class 1, Div. 2. I expect you will want to use fire retardant insulation, but I do not believe that armored cable is required.

Dick Caro
===========================================
Richard H. Caro, Certified Automation Professional, CEO, CMC Associates,
2 Beth Circle, Acton, MA 01720
Tel: +1.978.635.9449 Mobile: +.978.764.4728
Fax: +1.978.246.1270
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.CMC.us

W

Wireless Sales

Thanks for the reply.

To be consider simple apparatus, the condition is :-
Passive components (switches, resistive sensors, potentiometers), simple semiconductor (LEDs, phototransistors) and simple generating devices (thermocouples, photocells) are regarded as Simple Apparatus if they do not generate or store more than: 1,5 V, 100 mA, 25 mW.

Simple Apparatus can be used in Hazardous Area without certification; they have to be assessed for the temperature classification on the basis of the matched output power of the interface device.

In Elpro or others industrial units, radiated power of more than 25mW is required ( common use at least 100mW or more). My problem will be whether the mW as mentioned above is the same as ERP(Radiated Power).

Thank god my area accept Class 1, Div 2 as Zone 2. But client is asking why antenna, coaxial cable is consider simple apparatus.