Information about ABB Composer INFI90

L

Luciano

I've been looking for information about composer in ABB's website but it seems that they dont want to give information about their produtcs.

I couldnt find any manual about composer, requirements, FAQ, screenshoots, what I need to run it, nothing.

Please, could anyone send me screenshoots, presentation or a composer's manual?

In the plant where I work we have a very large infi90 system and we still work with wintools, but now we are looking for some software to replace it.

I also find a software called RCAD, does anyone know something about it? Any opnion?

Thanks

C

Chris Jennings

Your best bet is to contact ABB directly. Their manuals etc are available via SolutionsBank, but you have to pay for the service. Otherwise your local ABB service agent will have everything you need.

Chris Jennings

Luciano,

I can forward Composer information to you.

Send a seperate email directly to me at trevor.k.butcher @ ca.abb.com

Thanks.

M

Mike Winburn

If you are currently using Wintools you can easily convert to Composer. We just finished a project where we replaced some failing SLCs with 800XA and we used the existing files. Simply importing them into Composer then saving them converts the files. There is no expensive conversion simply import and save. BUT, keep your originals backed up just in case you should need them.

T
I've used Wintools along with DBDOC, and now use Composer with DBDOC. Once you get used to it, composer is a big improvement over Wintools as an engineering tool. But for quickly getting around logic, finding where tags are being used on graphics, which trends tags are assinged to, deciphering rung-type function blocks in real time, allowing remote read-only access to the real time logic and so on, DBDOC wins hands down. I wish that DBDOC could configure INFI90 hardware, but it can't so we're stuck with Composer.

Composer would have been an even greater improvement had it been equipped with DBDOC's basic tool set but ABB didn't do that so you're stuck with Composer's antiquated approach.

I also use DBDOC. Compared to Composer, DBDOC is much faster. Composer CLD sheets seem to take forever to open through a properly configured network. DBDOC flies through CLD sheets with no effort. Also, Composer takes longer to see a change in a digital/analog signal. Sometimes Composer doesn't even see the change without toggling between monitor/tune. Compared to Composer, DBDOC is a bargain. Too bad it can't configure and/or load to BRCs.

DBDOC is a waste of money, IMHO. It is a glorified version of Conductor and Composer merged with error reporting that any technician could figure out on their own. The Batch90 portion of DBDOC leaves much to be desired and is almost useless. You are better off just using Composer and Conductor.

A

Anthony Porter

You've either never seen DBDOC or if you have, you've never used it. Maybe because nobody showed you.

It is NOT a console and is not used only for error reporting. Error reporting is only one of its numerous features and uses.

I've been using DBDOC almost everyday, ever since I was introduced to it in early 2001 and wouldn't want to try and find a fault using the monitoring and data-fetching offered in Composer. There is no linking whatsover between tags> displays> logic documents in Composer or Conductor, so finding the source of data, let alone where it is missing or incorrect with the 'diagnostic tools' compared to DBDOC is like the difference between using a GPS map display and asking strangers (that don't speak English) on how to find your way back to your hotel when you're lost in some foreign city...

You MUST have Composer (or Wintools) if you want to configure, modify or tune an Infi90 or Symphony DCS and Conductor console. DBDOC simply supplements an Infi90 System, making both much, much easier to troubleshoot and manage.