Install RSLogix-5 and RSLogix-500 ver5.0 on Windows XP

C

concerned user

Hello All,

I know that Rockwell forces everyone that wants to use WinXP to upgrade to Ver5.2 or better of RSLogix-5 and RSLogix-500. I also know that if you attempt to install Ver5.0 that an error message is generated saying "This product requires Service Pack 4 on Windows NT 4.0 Systems.".

I have a solution. The problem comes up because the MSInstaller package does an OS version check. The version check is the following "(ServicePackLevel>=4) or (VersionNT=500) or (Version9X)" Windows XP reports back as being version 5.1.xx. It is this check that causes the installer to abort. To fix the problem the version check needs to be modified to the following "(ServicePackLevel>=4) or (VersionNT>=500) or (Version9X)". With this change RSLogix-5 and RSLogix-500 version 5.00 will install and run just fine on Windows XP.

How to make the change??

You need the Installer SDK from Microsoft. http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/

Included in the SDK is a utililty called "ORCA". Install the "ORCA" utility and then use it to edit the "*.MSI" file for RSLogix-500 or RSLogix-5. Before editing the "*.MSI" file make a backup of it in case you goof up. With the "*.MSI" file open in the "ORCA" utility scroll down the "Table" column to the entry labeled "LaunchCondition". In the Condition column for the "LaunchCondition" entry edit the Condition to read "(ServicePackLevel>=4) or (VersionNT>=500) or (Version9X)".

Viola you are done. Save the file and run setup.exe. RSLogix-5 and RSLogix-500, ver5.0 will install and run under WinXP.

Have Fun and Good Luck.

The problem with installing RS-Logix on XP has nothing to do with Rs-Logix, and everything to do with RS-Linx.

XP's serial port drivers and many of it's other comm drivers are a complete re-write of win3.1 drivers

Linx is flakey enough under the best conditions, i wouldn't risk it.

B

Bradley Hite

Hello,

> The problem with installing RS-Logix on XP has nothing to do
> with Rs-Logix, and everything to do with RS-Linx.

RSLinx runs just fine on WinXP, especially RSLinx 2.41. It has to since all of the RSLogix software, RSLogix-5, RSLogix-500, and RSLogix-5000, have to make use of RSLinx to communicate with hardware.

The issue is installing Ver5.0 of RSLogix-5 and RSLogix-500 on WinXP. Natively they won't install. However, with the change documented in the previous post they do install and more importantly work just fine.

> XP's serial port drivers and many of it's other comm drivers
> are a complete re-write of win3.1 drivers

That was true but has been true since Linx for NT4.0. XP is simply NT5.1

> Linx is flakey enough under the best conditions, i wouldn't risk it.

So what do you use to program A-B equipment with then??

Bradley G. Hite
Intertech Inc
mailto:[email protected]
Teaching Practical Skills for a Technological World

Yes, Rockwell were wrong when they wrote the earlier versions of Logix and Linx. They should have known that Microsoft was going to bring out a new operating system and they should of guessed how it would work and make their programs compatible. Get real, rockwell isn't forcing you to upgrade, YOU upgraded to XP and expect something to work that was designed when XP was never heard of.

C

Curt Wuollet

If they had known about XP and the versions in between, they might have switched to something else and life would be much different now. ;^) Imagine the money and effort that would have been saved.

Regards

cww

Does RSlogix 5/500/5000 work on win xp home or does it have to be win xp pro as rockwell insist?

> The version check is the following "(ServicePackLevel>=4) or
> (VersionNT=500) or (Version9X)" Windows XP reports back as being
> version 5.1.xx. It is this check that causes the installer to abort.
> To fix the problem the version check needs to be modified to the
> following "(ServicePackLevel>=4) or (VersionNT>=500) or
> (Version9X)". With this change RSLogix-5 and RSLogix-500 version
> 5.00 will install and run just fine on Windows XP.

It looks to me like the change from & change to examples are the same. Am I missing something?