Instrument selection for slug catcher level control

K

khizar hayat

I want to know whether it is better to install a DP type level transmitter or torque tube type level transmitter on the slug catcher.

The slug catcher is installed on the natural gas well for removal of any water/slug.

R
Khizar,

I'm not sure what a Slug Catcher is, but I assume it's some form of high pressure vessel and the slugs of water will be travelling at high velocity. If this is the case, the Displacer of the torque tube transmitter might be subject to considerable violence (if in the vessel).

In my humble opinion a DP cell is much more likely to last but you also have to consider freezing and other issues.

Regards,
Roy

K

khizar hayat

Slug Catcher is a sort of knock out vessel downstream of the gas well for removal of any condensate/slug from the gas.It will be subject to the well head pressure of approximately 40Kg.
DP cell with diaphragm seal can be used.On the other hand torque tube displacer can be mounted in an additional housing with two tappings from the side of the vessel.

Now with this information which solution will be better.

R
Khizar,
While there is nothing wrong with your torque tube I think that type will be expensive.
Personally I try to avoid diaphragm seals with capillary on a transmitter unless it's a 3" Flange mount level. If you can run the LP side dry or perhaps with a seal fluid e.g. oil or glycol it would be cheaper and less likely to fail through damage. I have found for condensing fluids if you run the LP tubing a couple of feet higher and then back down to the tapping point you get very little liquid at the transmitter.

I'm surprised you didn't get more response on this post, there must be lots out there with more experience than I on this issue.

Good Luck
Roy

G

Gerald Gilbert Browning

I recently worked in the detailed project for an gas treatment plant here in Brazil, and the solution given by the instrumentation group (Mr. Roberto Sternberg-Senior Instrumentation Engineer, Mr. Cleidison Pereira-Instrumentation Designer and me Mr. Gerald Browning-Senior Instrumentaion Designer) was to use magnetostrictive sensor in a external standpipe (Because of the turbulence). But we believe that the great solution was to use 3 taps to equalize the internal pressure at the standpipe. We connect the upper tap to the gas extraction finger to relief the pressure at the standpipe.

I should specify level transmitter type for slug catcher (finger type-48" pipe-#1500) in one of our project. Our client is interested in Radar.

Is radar (GWR) suitable instrument for this application or anybody knows which type of instrument can be a good selection?