Integrating PLC with BMS

A

Anonymous

We need to integrate the existing Simatic 300 system with a new BMS system (to be purchased).

Both the systems will be standalone but the requirement is to have control and monitoring of the new BMS from the existing Siemens Simatic 300 PLC with CPU 315-2 DP processor and ET 200M distributed I/Os over profibus. Operator interface is through MP277 touch screen along with Win CC step 7.

Experts of the forum pls advice:

1. What shall be appropriate level of the integration whether at the control level or at the supervisor level. I assume that at the control level it is quite difficult to have the interface as most of the BMS manufacturers do not communicate over the protocols on which PLC manufacturers are operating. Choice is at the supervisor level with some gateways. What are the advantage and disadvantages of the two choices.

2. How to proceed further and points to be checked for making the specifications of the new BMS.

Regards

Sir
will you please tell what does BMS stands for, I could guess it as Boiler Management system or something else?

Well, I would like to share my experience in interfacing the BMS with other control system,we had a YOKOGAWA dcs and we interfaced this with the BMS. we have specified the communication protocol of the DCS to the BMS supplier and he had carried out the rest. it will be simpler if you go for a similar PLC.

thanks

Sorry, for not specifying BMS. BMS I mean here is Building Management system primarily for control and monitoring of HVAC (heating ventilation and air conditioning) systems.

Regards
NIKHIL GUPTA

Hi,

FieldServer Technologies www.fieldserver.com has many interfaces between PLC's and HVAC, for Siemens possibly PROFIBUS to BACnet/IP. The application engineer should determine what points (read & write) need to be interfaced between the two systems. I suggest that you contact FieldServer for further assistance.

Regards

Richard

W

Wassim Daoud

Hello,

I believe that integrating those systems at the supervisory level is the best solution for the long term. OPC is an asset and huge contributor into better interoperability between your BMS and you PLC system.

To help aid your research for your BMS, take a look at what's available for OPC drivers here:
http://is.gd/dpe14

Also here is the OPC Server for Siemens S7 for your PLCs:
http://is.gd/dpe6I

You will eventually need to connect those two drivers together. You can use OPC Data Manager for it:
http://is.gd/cym3H

Here is your complete solution at a supervisory level to integrate your PLC and BMS together.

Wassim Daoud
Global Solutions Architect
www.MatrikonOPC.com

If you have WinCC, then there is no need to connect PLC and BMS in the same bus. Rather, WinCC can handle diverse protocols like PROFIBUS, PROFINET, ETHERNET etc.

Siemens also provides interface cards for each protocol that can be installed in your PC network (where WinCC is running) and it can rightly communicate with the system without disturbing the existing PLC bus.

For BMS, in my view Ethernet will be the right choice control part for BMS is not time critical as compared to plant functions.

All the BMS vendors support this kind of gateway application, so it won't limit your selection.

We all have OPC Servers in our operator workstations so you can monitor and command points in real time. Also, ModBus is the most common gateway we sell, and I understand it's the same for our competitors.

We can act as the ModBus master so the security guard needs only one BMS screen to monitor all the building systems. We can also act as a ModBus slave if you want the guard to watch just one Process Control system screen.

Best,
B.O. July 15, 2010

Robert Old
Siemens Industry, Inc.
Building Technologies
1000 Deerfield Pkwy.
Buffalo Grove, IL 60089-4513
bob.old [at] siemens.com
www.siemens.com