Interfacing to the PC's serial Port

O

Olugbenga

I am currently doing a school project which entails that i develop some software of my choice (i'm using both C++ and CLIPS) to control a temperature controller. I'm actually using fuzzy logic. Do i need to also have a UART at my interface?, and what is the format of bits that the hardware interface should send to the PC? Also, since the computer will read this data and use it within my program, how do i tell my computer to read from the port at such and such a time. I am very confused and any assistace will be highly appreciated. Thank you. Olugbenga.

> I am currently doing a school project which entails that i develop some software of my choice (i'm using both C++ and CLIPS) to control a temperature controller. I'm actually using fuzzy logic. > Do i need to also have a UART at my interface?, and what is the format of bits that the hardware interface should send to the PC? > Also, since the computer will read this data and use it within my program, how do i tell my computer to read from the port at such and such a time. > I am very confused and any assistace will be highly appreciated. > Thank you. > Olugbenga. __________________________ Your fuzzy logic ia a piece of sotware that resides within a black box. If you want it to comunicate both ways (in/out) you need to protocolise a port. A universal protocol is the HP-IB (IEEE- ... ?). Check with National Instrument [ni.com] they have sound an immense qualifications and products that will help you.

Pascal: Thank you for the link. I am an author of USB report. I also worked with RS232 extensively when I was working for Control Data way back in 197x. Even though USB will eventaully replace 232, it still has a very long life. John Koon