Interoperability with DeltaV

E

Eoghan

I would like to integrate a Visual Basic application that we are developing with the DeltaV system and would like to know how to do this and to what extent DeltaV supports interoperability through Web APIs, Web services, Database interoperability, etc...
Would it be easier to poll a Foundation Fieldbus device rather then poll the DeltaV system?
Any advice regarding the physical wiring of the system would also be helpful...

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks,

J
In my personal opinion, the best way to interface software with DeltaV is using OPC. Getting data from underlying FF devices is probably easiest through the OPC server. To learn about integration through OPC take a look at chapter 5 of the book "Software for Automation: Architecture, Integration, and Security". Preview, see contents, and buy online: www.isa.org/autosoftware

With regards to physical wiring, are you asking about fieldbus or Ethernet? To learn more about wiring fieldbus and Ethernet and stuff you did not know about HART take a look at chapter 3 of the yellow book "Fieldbuses for Process Control: Engineering, Operation, and Maintenance" buy online: http://www.isa.org/fieldbuses

Jonas

E

Eoghan O' Neill

Thanks for the tips,

How long do you think it would take to carry out this work? I ask this as I only have a matter of weeks for the project.

Thanks.

J
Connecting tags in server to client using OPC is very quick - it is just point and click.

The question is, is your software an OPC client? If not you have some development work to do before you go to site. Once your software is an OPC client the work is easy.

Jonas